[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Tascione • View topic - Hamilton 921- w/w case project

Hamilton 921- w/w case project

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Hamilton 921- w/w case project

Postby Randy » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:13 pm

DSCN0327ham2.gif
DSCN0327ham2.gif (181.98 KiB) Viewed 5156 times
DSCN0322Ham1.jpg
DSCN0322Ham1.jpg (113.36 KiB) Viewed 5156 times

Not a Tourby or an RGM.
It has a pressed dial, not Guilloche.
But the whole project cost me about $300 in materials.

I replaced the staff, and roller jewel.
I did a COA,and I polished and heat blued the screws over an alcohol lamp.....I learned a lot doing that !

Not the best pics,..but wanted to share !

Best regards,

Randy
Randy

Re: Hamilton 921- w/w case project

Postby Arutha » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:23 pm

Beautiful work Randy, is it your own watch?
I would love to wear something I had done a complete re-furb on :)
Have just read another post where you said you had your dads Hamilton, is this it?
Arutha

Postby Randy » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:06 pm

Thanks.
Yes, I built this for myself.
It's a cal. 921, 10 size pocket watch movement that I put into a wristwatch case

My dad's watch is a 1948 Hamilton Brandon CLD style.
Totally different type.

Take care,..thanks for the interest !

Randy
Randy

Postby Arutha » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:49 am

Its lovely Randy.
I hope it makes you smile each time you wear it. :)
Arutha

Postby Bob Tascione » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:03 am

Awesome watch Randy!
That movement is beautiful. Really nice work! I'm sure it's happy to be back in a case and used again rather than destined for the parts bin.
Can you tell us a bit more about the case and dial? Where did you get them or how did you make them?
Beautiful Watch!!!

Thanks for sharing it with us,
Bob
Bob Tascione

Postby Randy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:58 pm

Thanks for the kind words.
Yes...I have a large grin on my face !
It was just a broken movement, no case.
I figured that somewhere along the line, the case was scrapped for gold,. like so many these days. :( .
I would not have relegated it to this project if I had the case,..oh well.

The dial is from Otto Frei. It's for a 6497-2 config. I had to move the posts.
I used epoxy to reset them, as I don't have the proper dial tool.

The hands were also from Bob Frei ( they are actually 12s hands). The minute hand hole was a perfect fit, the hour hand pipe I closed a bit my my staking set.
A little trimming for length and they worked.

The case was something that eluded me for quite some time.
I didn't have the deep pockets for someone to do a production run for me.
Finally, I asked Helenrou ( in Hong Kong ) if they had ever considered building a case for the Hamilton conversions, and they said yes.

In fact, they were in the midst of production.
So a few months later, they came available.

Not too bad a fit w/ their movement ring ( fits a 912 or 921 ) , but I had to reduce the inside diameter a bit .

Thanks again for the input !

Best regards,

Randy
Randy

Postby Bob Tascione » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:58 pm

Thanks Randy!
It was sure worth the perseverance. I hope you make more of them!
Take care and enjoy your watch!
Bob
Bob Tascione

Postby Randy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:38 pm

Thanks Bob...I'm thinking that I might just do that !

All my best,

Randy
Randy

Return to General Discussion Forum