Looking for tool

If you know of some good resources that will help us please post them!

All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Looking for tool

Postby Larry Cook » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:58 pm

I have a cuckoo clock that I want to repair. Being new I do not have all the tools to open or remove every clip. I have run into the clip in the attached photo. I nee a tool that will allow me to remove it. I can not find a thing that works. I am sure you all will be able to help.
Thanks.....Larry..... :)
Attachments
Cuckoo Clip1.png
Cuckoo Clip1.png (204.57 KiB) Viewed 7135 times
Larry Cook

Re: Looking for tool

Postby willofiam » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:03 am

Hey Larry, those things are buggers. I have not found a specific tool for them and hope someone has and responds. What I do is make sure the plate is supported near that particular area then using a small hammer hit the end of the lever arbor on that clip side, also making sure the lever on the other side is free from anything else. There are times I can "knock" it right off, other times it will move the clip just enough so I can insert a flat screwdriver between the prongs (I have one I use that is just the right size) it will spread it just enough to "knock" it off easily. As for putting them back on I set the clip on the end of the arbor and use a stake with a hole to drive it to its spot, use caution so as to not drive it too tight. Best way I have come across to do these. Funny you posted this, I just worked on one the other day, Have fun. William
Have a great day, William
willofiam

Postby SteveFitzwater » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:39 am

I am wondering if a snap ring pliers would work on that, I did a google search and then images, not sure if this link will work, but these are examples,

https://www.google.com/search?q=snap+ri ... ing+pliers
to first succeed, one must put forth the effort worthy of the success
SteveFitzwater

Postby willofiam » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:18 am

Hey Steve, the 2 styles of snap ring pliers I have tried do not work, biggest problem is having the nose or tips close enough together to get in there for a good enough grip to hold it open, though I have not taken the time to look for any other styles I have also thought of modifying something. William
Have a great day, William
willofiam

Postby Larry Cook » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:07 pm

Thank you very much for the responses. I did look at snap ring pliers and the studs were juuuust not close enough. Thank you for the link to the pliers. I believe I will give William's advise a try and if I am unsuccessful I'll try to modify a tool. I will let you know what finally worked. Time is not really an issue as this clock is in the family. Thanks for your help...Larry
Larry Cook

Postby SteveFitzwater » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:25 pm

Hmm, I would modify the snap ring pliers.. but the scale is a unknown for me, so good luck and most of all.. Have fun..

Hey Will, will be up your way Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday... will see how the days go, I might call and drop in for a bit..
to first succeed, one must put forth the effort worthy of the success
SteveFitzwater

Postby Bernie Weishapl » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:51 pm

I use snap ring pliers on those. I can't remember where I got mine but it was a mini set. It was either Harbour Freight or Sears but they work slick.
Bernie
Bernie Weishapl

Return to Parts & Tool Suppliers & Other Helpful Resources