[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Tascione • View topic - A humble begining "Mclark3617"

A humble begining "Mclark3617"

Create your own "Personal Shop Page" Just Start a "New Topic"using your forum User Name as the title and post pics of your shop, tools, you etc.!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Forum rules
Start a "New Topic" using your forum User name as the title and post pics of your shop, tools, you etc.!!
This will be your personal home page.
Post your pics on your personal page only
DO NOT POST YOUR PICS ON ANOTHER PERSONS PERSONAL PAGE UNLESS REQUESTED OR GIVEN PERMISSION BY THE PAGE OWNER

A humble begining "Mclark3617"

Postby Mclark3617 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:19 pm

Not much by everyones elses standards, but i have everything i need ,i think, for now. You may notice my space is the dinning room table, what you may not notice is the looks my wife is giving me..lol. Although im sure most of you have seen this before..lol
I hope to progress to my own room soon, then i can make a dedicated bench, im already feeling it in my neck from working on the table.

By the way, how come my pic was cut in half,,,the right side didnt show up
Mclark3617

Re: A humble begining

Postby willofiam » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:45 pm

Have a great day, William
willofiam

Postby Randy » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:30 am

Cut the legs off of an old stool or a chair from Goodwill...your neck will love you for it !
I have the same tool chest in my watchroom.....really nice

Randy
Randy

Postby Mclark3617 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:51 am

Thanks, its the Gerstner i got when i graduated my apprencticship over twenty years ago.
Ill have to try the stool thing,,,ive been resorting to working on my knees.
Mclark3617

Postby Arutha » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:33 pm

From small acorns great oak trees grow!
Another solution is to make a raised work surface using short legs to bring the working height up. I think this has been suggested in another post somewhere. That is just how I started out except without the lathe, it took me a while before i could afford one.
Paul.
Arutha

Postby Mclark3617 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:49 pm

I was looking at some raised tables like you suggest, and the lathe wasnt planned i just happened on a decent deal. I was gonna get one eventually though right?
Mclark3617

Postby Arutha » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:52 pm

Damn right :) and lots of other tools, lots and lots of tools, and just when you think you are getting to the point where you have enough tools you keep seeing more tools that you need and wonder how you ever managed without them. When you have all the tools you need......er......come to think of it I dont think that ever happens :)
Arutha

Postby Bob Tascione » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:24 pm

Thanks for posting this Mclark!
As William say's..you've got the fever. It's all over now! :D I'll bet within a year from now you'll be looking for a bigger house but for now you've got everything you need to get started.
Enjoy the free space while you can!
Bob
Bob Tascione

Re: A humble begining "Mclark3617"

Postby Mclark3617 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:52 pm

My area is improving, I finally have my own room

Notice the new bench and L&R master cleaner, well new to me, im a sucker for vintage stuff
Mclark3617

Postby Bob Tascione » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:35 am

Congratulations on the new watch repair room Mclark,
and on that beautiful bench!

Bob
Bob Tascione

Postby Mclark3617 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:09 am

Thanks, im ready to re-break it in
Mclark3617

Postby david pierce » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:00 pm

McLark,
It looks like you are well on the way to having a first rate set up. I tried for a long time to work on watches doing watch repair on our computer bench. It was not an ideal situation but things really went bad after I dissasembeled a chronometer and left the parts on the computer bench. When I was able to get back to the repair I saw parts scattered all over the bench and the floor. I then realized that it was time to get a dedicated watchmaker bench and put it in a dedicated room. As you do this more and more you will find that you will be rearranging the location of your machines to suit your particular work pattern and accommodate other tools that you will purchase in the future.
You may want to cover the top of your bench with a green vinyl sheet. This is the same material that was used for drafting boards. Tom sent me a link and I bought a decent size roll of it for not too much money. It provides a really nice work surface for watch repair. I cover my movements on the bench with glass desert cups that I bought from Wall Mart for $2.00 each. They are the perfect size and work great.
david
david pierce

Postby Mclark3617 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:40 pm

Yea,,it was really giving nasty kinks in my neck with a traditional desk, causing me to hurry at times, Needed to get into a more comfortable spot. And i was afraid to dig into a watch too far and find i had to wait for something and end up loosing a part from laying arounf to long. I would like to be able to go from start to finish in one sitting if possible.
Mclark3617

Postby willofiam » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:28 pm

lookin good, nothing better than a nice cozy place to loose yourself in a watch. William
Have a great day, William
willofiam

Postby Bernie Weishapl » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:18 pm

Looking mighty fine. You are on the road.
Bernie
Bernie Weishapl

Postby Mclark3617 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:08 pm

Thanks guys, i do love the bench,,now just getting up enough nerve to tear something apart..
Mclark3617

Postby Arutha » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:35 am

It is worth getting a couple of these, as you tear down the watch you can keep the "sections" together, this is especially useful as it helps to stop getting screws mixed up.
parts tray.jpg
parts tray.jpg (8.8 KiB) Viewed 26414 times

Make notes as you go and if you have a half decent camera then take pics too. Don't trust anything to memory!
Good luck,
Paul.
Arutha

Postby david pierce » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:19 pm

Paul,
Those look great. Where do you get them?
david
david pierce

Postby Arutha » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:49 pm

Hi David,
I bought mine from Cousins -
Try any of your horological suppliers and if you don't have any luck there just put "watch parts tray" into ebay.
Paul.
Arutha

Postby david pierce » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:33 pm

Paul,
Thanks
david pierce

Next

Return to Member Shop Pics.