[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Tascione • View topic - One room tool house...Tmac1956

One room tool house...Tmac1956

Create your own "Personal Shop Page" Just Start a "New Topic"using your forum User Name as the title and post pics of your shop, tools, you etc.!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Forum rules
Start a "New Topic" using your forum User name as the title and post pics of your shop, tools, you etc.!!
This will be your personal home page.
Post your pics on your personal page only
DO NOT POST YOUR PICS ON ANOTHER PERSONS PERSONAL PAGE UNLESS REQUESTED OR GIVEN PERMISSION BY THE PAGE OWNER

One room tool house...Tmac1956

Postby tmac1956 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:21 pm

All:

I thought long and hard (well at least long) about this before deciding to post something. There are so many real shops here that mine is pretty sick in comparison. However, I can pride myself in at least one thing... and that is that I've been able to cram so much into one room. Anything else that I get will necessarily go into the garage. ;)

So... here it is - such as it is.

A1.JPG
A1.JPG (90.67 KiB) Viewed 29940 times

A2.JPG
A2.JPG (95.58 KiB) Viewed 29940 times

A3.JPG
A3.JPG (91.25 KiB) Viewed 29940 times

A4.JPG
A4.JPG (66.57 KiB) Viewed 29940 times
Last edited by tmac1956 on Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tmac1956

Re: One room tool house...

Postby tmac1956 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:23 pm

Part 2..
A5.JPG
A5.JPG (87.95 KiB) Viewed 29939 times

A6.JPG
A6.JPG (92.87 KiB) Viewed 29939 times

A7.JPG
A7.JPG (59.09 KiB) Viewed 29939 times

A8.JPG
A8.JPG (66.51 KiB) Viewed 29939 times
tmac1956

Postby david pierce » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:44 pm

Tom,
Shop looks great. It is probably a good idea to not have the vice on the bed all the time. As long as the weight is centered and not hanging on one end of the bed you should be ok but I would keep it off when not using it. If the vice or any heavy accessory was hanging on one end, it could warp the mill bed over a period of time. Always keep the bed centered as yours is when not in use. I am sure that everyone who has jumped into this knows how quickly one can spend thousands of dollars. If our wives only kenw!!!!!
david
david pierce

Postby tmac1956 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:11 am

daivd:

Thanks for that advise. I'm about to mill something today, but I do remove it when not in use just to get it out of the way. However, I'll make a ritual out of it now.

Thanks!
Tom
tmac1956

Postby Bob Tascione » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:15 am

Tom,
I didn't see this yesterday. Really nice setup! Is this all in one room?
I'm curious about the microscope in the first pic. I like the size of that one. Got any details on it you can pass along? Like power, where you got it from and maybe how much they run?
Thanks for posting!
Bob
Bob Tascione

Postby tmac1956 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:29 am

Bob:

Yep - I shoved it all into one small bedroom. ;)

The microscope is a 20x-40x Amscope that I bought from Sears. Here'a link to the specs. (The price may have changed a little since I got mine)
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM6383289707P

I also bought the digital camera attachement. The resolution's not very good. If I had it to do again, I would have spent a little more to get a better one.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NC ... UTF8&psc=1

Thanks!
Tom
tmac1956

Postby willofiam » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:34 am

Tom, very nice and well organized, YOU HAVE A GREAT SHOP!!!, From what I understand there have been many great watchmakers who had very small space to work in. A large area with all the best tools does not mean good work is being done. How long have you been working on watches? do you work on clocks also? Impressive Tom and thanks for sharing, William
Have a great day, William
willofiam

Postby willofiam » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:36 am

I have found these amscopes on craigslist for 20 - 60 dollars
willofiam

Postby tmac1956 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:37 am

tmac1956

Postby tmac1956 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:59 am

tmac1956

Postby willofiam » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:18 pm

Tom, I hope a divorce doesnt come with the tooling (I think your kidding), my wife says if it makes me happy then she is happy, She knows that there are tools I need to accomplish certain tasks, AND even if I do buy and dont need or made a mistake, I can usually resell and get my money back. I do work on clocks and pocket watches full time. I started on pocket watches about a year ago and really enjoy the change up from a clock to a watch. both are rewarding to work on but each has its own world, many tools will cross over from one to the other and it looks like you have almost everything you would need for clocks, William
willofiam

Postby tmac1956 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:42 pm

A few more that got cut off in the other photos...
1.JPG
1.JPG (70.42 KiB) Viewed 29911 times

2.JPG
2.JPG (74.6 KiB) Viewed 29911 times

3.JPG
3.JPG (74.24 KiB) Viewed 29911 times

4.JPG
I use elastic chord and fishing line to drive my Jacot - it works really well.
4.JPG (69.12 KiB) Viewed 29911 times
tmac1956

Postby tmac1956 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:42 pm

5.JPG
5.JPG (61.58 KiB) Viewed 29911 times
tmac1956

Postby Bob Tascione » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:49 pm

Bob Tascione

Postby tmac1956 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:00 pm

Bob:

No - that's a little Crock Pot pickler. I think its really made for heating dip at parties or something, but most jewelry makers use it for heating pickling solution.

Later,
Tom
tmac1956

Postby Bob Tascione » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:28 pm

Thanks Tom!
Bob Tascione

Postby Arutha » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:01 pm

You have a lovely workshop there Tom, its so nice to be able to dedicate space to watch/clock repair as in my early days I remember having to pack everything away each evening and it could be so frustrating if you were half way through something. The chance of losing stuff increases as well so its never an ideal situation. It is a real privilege to have a workshop and you have built up a great selection of tools too. I still love opening the door to my workshop each morning, its mine, nothing disturbs me (especially when I turn my phone off now and again :)) and I can just get on and do what I love.
Well done, all your time/effort and money is paying off :)
Paul.
Arutha

Postby tmac1956 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:47 am

Arutha:

Now if I could do a rubbed in jewel replacement job like you, I might be able to utilize all of these tools that I have amassed. ;)

Thanks!
Tom
tmac1956

Postby david pierce » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:48 pm

Tom,
That green book sitting sideways on your shelf is one of the best refrence sources ever. Turn to the section called STEELS and read through it. I bought my copy in 1978 and still refer to it often. There is so much information there for the machinist: speeds, feeds, materials, cutter angles, thread information, bolt sizes, fit specfications etc., etc, etc. If there was only one book I could buy for machinest work, that would be the book. I always keep a copy by my toilet. That is where I have my best quality study time.
david
david pierce

Postby david pierce » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:03 pm

Bob,
If you got to Ebay and bring up microscopes there should be a large section devoted to AMSCOPE products. Mine was around $150.00 and I am extremely happy with it. When I got mine I wanted the eyepieces to be mounted 180 degrees in the other direction so I took it apart and reversed the prisms and the eyepieces. The image in that scope is far better than any loupe I ever looked through. If you examine pallets, jewels, pivots, gears and any other small watch part the image is as clear as a bell. If you have a tiny jewel that is damaged or cracked, the defect will look like the GRAND CANYON through that thing.
david
david pierce

Next

Return to Member Shop Pics.