Beginners help please

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Beginners help please

Postby TonyB06 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:17 am

I have just started to get interested in horology and I am undertaking my first project. Rather than try a rebuild first out I have obtained a movement and an old case with a broken movement. My idea is to fit the working mechanism into the case and then mend the broken one I have taken out.
The new mechanism does not fit into the case as is so I am expecting to have to re fit. My first question is
Is it better to mount the whole clock assemble on the frame and have it all working and then offer it up to the clock case?
Secondly 5here nis a lever on the front of the mechanism that protrudes what would be the front face of the clock. When you move it the clock chimes. Does there have to be a slot in the clock face for this lever?
Sorry if they are dumb questions but you have to start somewhere!
Thank you
Attachments
8158DE6B-D059-4FAF-BB5B-D61AF5A24329.jpeg
8158DE6B-D059-4FAF-BB5B-D61AF5A24329.jpeg (28.36 KiB) Viewed 6324 times
TonyB06

Re: Beginners help please

Postby c.kelly » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:07 pm

Hi,
The lever you mention probably turns off the chimes. It is designed to go through a slot in the dial. If your dial doesn’t have this slot you could either get another dial or remove the lever which would mean clock would not have a silence lever and a lot of chiming movements don’t have the option to turn off the chimes. As to how to mount movement into your case that depends on the case. Looking at your movement it appears as if it just screws into the back of the case but your case may be different. Is this movement similar to what you removed?
c.kelly

Postby TonyB06 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:49 am

Thank you for the reply. The new movement is bigger than the original so I need to make a new frame for it.
My main worry is venturing the clock face in the cabinet? I will make a slot in the clock face for the lever as with the old clock we had to stop it every time we had someone to stay!
I’m having problems with the escapement. I can see loads of video about what it does but not how to adjust it? I get to the point where the clock runs for about 30-40 seconds and then it stops. I’m assuming one of the teeth on the wheel is catching on the pivot. However any advice about making an adjustment would be great.
Take care
TonyB06

Devon based members?

Postby TonyB06 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:50 am

Are there any other members located in Devon or the Sputh West UK?
It would be nice to link up
TonyB06

Postby c.kelly » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:01 am

It sounds like the movement is either dirty, out of beat, or possibly has the verge set too deeply. To check for out of beat you could place to movement level and then gently, slowly move the pendulum from side to side looking to see when the teeth on the escape wheel unlock and move. This should happen at equal distance left and right from center on the position of pendulum.
Charles
c.kelly

Return to General Discussion Forum