[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Tascione • View topic - Happy with today’s jobs

Happy with today’s jobs

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Happy with today’s jobs

Postby Torsion » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:20 pm

My Derbyshire Magnus 10mm lathe came with a leaver tailstock, so I wanted to be able to fix a small Jacob chuck to it , well the original shaft was probably going to be next to useless, yes I could have turned a piece of steel down to fit the taper and turned a JT0 taper on the other end but I think the size needed it could of been prone to flexing .
What I decided to do was replace the shaft with a length of 8mm tool steel, turn a JT0 on one end and turn the other end to fit leaver linkage, I turned both ends by hand using a graver ( mainly because I could not work out how many degrees to alter the cross slide by ) anyway as can be seen by the pictures it turned out very well, I am very happy with it.
I also made a new tool rest for my bench grinder/ polisher because the original was not adjustable, so I have had a productive day on furlough.
Dell
16728661-B226-4882-8F6A-DEA6C36F970A.jpeg
16728661-B226-4882-8F6A-DEA6C36F970A.jpeg (262.08 KiB) Viewed 6456 times

77C88134-0813-4470-B895-121F491DF504.jpeg
77C88134-0813-4470-B895-121F491DF504.jpeg (256.37 KiB) Viewed 6456 times

D62F4299-647E-4928-ACDD-29F048DD22C0.jpeg
D62F4299-647E-4928-ACDD-29F048DD22C0.jpeg (522.92 KiB) Viewed 6456 times
Old man but still learning
Torsion

Re: Happy with today’s jobs

Postby DRichards » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:04 pm

Hello Dell
Accurately turning a taper with a hand graver is
something to be very proud of. That’s not an easy feat.
Very impressive work!!
Congratulations!

Best, Dean
DRichards

Re: Happy with today’s jobs

Postby Torsion » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:25 am

Thanks Dean
The reason I had to do it with the graver was that I didn’t know how to work out what to set the cross slide to, I found this site http://www.tools-n-gizmos.com/specs/Tapers.html it gave me the dimensions of JT0 taper but that was it.
I am happy how it turned out ( pun intended).
Dell
Old man but still learning
Torsion

Return to General Discussion Forum