[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Tascione • View topic - Home made file rest

Home made file rest

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Home made file rest

Postby Torsion » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:07 pm

Hi all
I have been looking for a file rest for my IME English Watchmakers lathe here in the uk but have been unable to find one, the only ones I have seen are in the USA, so I decided the only option was to make my own.
4D301F6F-EAF6-4CDB-A0A0-4E0F9939C5F5.jpeg
4D301F6F-EAF6-4CDB-A0A0-4E0F9939C5F5.jpeg (160.08 KiB) Viewed 2388 times
81CD12BA-9BBE-4662-B4C3-DD03A529151B.jpeg
81CD12BA-9BBE-4662-B4C3-DD03A529151B.jpeg (152.79 KiB) Viewed 2388 times

I purchased two oiled bronze bushes ( the only thing I purchased) 6.35mm id 10mm od I already had some 12X12mm steel but the main problem was how to cut the recessed part in the steel as I haven’t got a mill, so I decided to clamp two bits of steel together then clamp it in the drill press vice at work, then drill a hole through the centre of the two bits of steel starting small then progressing to bigger drills to the size I needed, the other parts I turned up on the watchmakers lathe using a graver as I don’t have a cross slide, threaded everything so the bearings can go on either side, total cost £5 and a bit of time.
Old man but still learning
Torsion

Re: Home made file rest

Postby Torsion » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:49 am

Well finished the first job that the file rest was for, had a missing nut on one of the finials.
4B6DB0F4-D477-41E3-B016-4A3EBF9E73F9.jpeg
4B6DB0F4-D477-41E3-B016-4A3EBF9E73F9.jpeg (496.76 KiB) Viewed 2372 times
Old man but still learning
Torsion

Re: Home made file rest

Postby Vernon » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:01 am

Just what I needed Torsion!
My file rest is worn out and has seen it's last days. The one you made above is beautiful.
I'm going to try making one this weekend if I can muster up some time.
Thank you for posting the pics.

Vern
Vernon

Return to General Discussion Forum