Broken center wheel...maybe

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Broken center wheel...maybe

Postby JHargrove77 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:33 am

I'm hoping someone has had a similar experience and can share their knowledge.
I'm working on an Omega R13.5 movement and am getting ready to put it back together after cleaning. I'm concerned about my center wheel. Is it possible that the canon pinion is not drilled completely through and just slides over the center shaft? If not, the center shaft has broken off because the canon pinion hole does not go all the way through. The outer end that holds the minute hand is not hollow. I have another movement but I think the center wheel arbor may be shorter because the dial from the original watch sets proud of the canon pinion and there's not enough shaft for the hands to attach to. The second movement's dial pins are shorter and the hour wheel is shorter even though they are the same movement number. I'm stuck using the original movement to fit the case. The Omega R13.5 is a tiny movement and anyone with experience servicing one could really help me out with your expertise.
Attachments
dial2.jpg
dial2.jpg (298.91 KiB) Viewed 2580 times
hour2.jpg
hour2.jpg (368.09 KiB) Viewed 2580 times
pinion2.jpg
pinion2.jpg (152.07 KiB) Viewed 2580 times
JHargrove77

Re: Broken center wheel...maybe

Postby DRichards » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:45 pm

Hello,
Yes you do see canon pinions like this. I am not positive about that Omega cal but fairly certain that it is correct. A through hole is of course necessary when there is a sweep second involved.

All the best,
Dean
DRichards

Re: Broken center wheel...maybe

Postby JHargrove77 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:53 am

Thanks Dean. I've been putting off reassembly until I got some kind of update. I really appreciate your response. Now I'll attempt to put it all back together. Wish me luck. The movement is the size of a nickle.
JHargrove77

Return to General Discussion Forum