[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Tascione • View topic - Boley Lathe

Boley Lathe

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Boley Lathe

Postby hdehart » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:37 pm

I just purchased an 8mm Boley Mini Lathe off of Ebay and I'm cleaning and repairing it. I will be working with clocks and this my hobby. I did not come with any collets. Are there any common sizes that I could start out with?
hdehart

Re: Boley Lathe

Postby Randy » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:38 pm

I'm into watch repair..so I'm thinking that you are going to want to find some of the larger collets to start ( depending on the size of clocks you are planning to repair ).
Maybe start with .30 and go up in size ?

I'm thinking that you will eventually also want a larger lathe..a small "commercial" style but others with more clock experience can help you there..

Best of luck..write back if you think I can help you somehow ??

Randy

P.S. I grew up in Idaho......now I'm just a bit outside of Spokane...
Randy

Postby hdehart » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:29 pm

Thank you Randy.
hdehart

Postby Phil McCabe » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:23 pm

I agree with Randy on the sizes for clock repair. I would also suggest keeping your eye out for a 3 jaw chuck and some step collets. Bob shows some useful lathe tools in his lathe videos that are made from hardware store materials. I use them to accurately turn and polish pivots between centers which is most often what I use the lathe for.
Hope this helps. Best, Phil
Phil McCabe

Postby hdehart » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:23 pm

Thank you Phil. Does the 3 jaw chuck fit in the same manner as the collets? I also have a tailstock and have been searching for the different applications it can be used for. Howard
hdehart

Postby Torsion » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:29 pm

Hi heart
I know this may be a bit late but be careful what accessories you get for the Boley lathe because although it may say 8mm a lot of them have metric or imperial threat and other differences see below.
0F64548E-CAD9-441C-8323-A8C3A87A0A59.jpeg
0F64548E-CAD9-441C-8323-A8C3A87A0A59.jpeg (457.76 KiB) Viewed 4415 times

Dell
Old man but still learning
Torsion

Postby hdehart » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:50 pm

Thank you Dell.
hdehart

Return to General Discussion Forum