Bent teeth

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Bent teeth

Postby TicToc Clock Shop » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:19 am

I am new on forum and don't know how to go about this. My first 3 tries didn't work. My question is can teeth on a drive wheel be straightened? They were bent when the clock was taken apart with little power left on the train.
TicToc Clock Shop

Re: Bent teeth

Postby Clocks-R-Me » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:21 pm

Welcome to the forum
In many cases straightening brass wheel teeth can be done without much trouble. Brass doesn't always bend well so there is always danger of breaking the tooth but if they are not bent too much you might be okay. I use a smooth jaw pliers and straighten by gently pulling the tooth outwards letting the pliers slip along the tooth until it reaches it's original shape.
It's been a long time since I watched Bobs videos so not sure but I think he shows how to straighten clock teeth in the clock course.
Good luck TicToc . Dan
Clocks-R-Me

Re: Bent teeth

Postby TicToc Clock Shop » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:16 am

Thank you for the reply. I don't recall seeing it in the video but I will sure check it out. Would heating the brass make it more pliable? or would that be more dangerous? Thanks again. Lieuwe
TicToc Clock Shop

Return to General Discussion Forum