Derbyshire Lathe

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Derbyshire Lathe

Postby Bromega » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:00 pm

Bought an old Derbyshire lathe. What type of oil should I use for the headstock? The knockout hole in the tailstock spindle does not show any part of the inserted part. How should I go about removing the centering post that is in the spindle? Should I leave it alone? I have never used a lathe before. Don't want to screw up the lathe. I am relying on the videos and guidance from this forum.

Thanks,
Raymond
Attachments
Tail.jpg
Knockout Hole
Tail.jpg (472.15 KiB) Viewed 1964 times
Lathe.jpg
Derbyshire Lathe
Lathe.jpg (439.67 KiB) Viewed 1964 times
Bromega

Re: Derbyshire Lathe

Postby DRichards » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:28 pm

Raymond
I use Mobile Velocite #6 for my watchmakers lathes. Very good spindle oil. You can get a pint of it up on Amazon for reasonable price.
Your dead center is possibly the wrong one. Not a problem though as long as the taper is correct. I have experienced same problem.
You can grind two parallel flats on the sides of the center to fit a small wrench around or pliers with parallel jaws. Then just twist a little and it will come right out.

Dean
DRichards

Re: Derbyshire Lathe

Postby Bromega » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:26 pm

Thank you very much! I had planned on following the video on making a tapered dead center for practice. I didn't want to damage the lathe out of ignorance. Appreciate your help.
Bromega

Return to General Discussion Forum