Seth Thomas movement plate removal with speed adjustment

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Seth Thomas movement plate removal with speed adjustment

Postby JohnClu » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:07 pm

I have a Seth Thomas movement from a mantle clock I a overhauling and have run into a problem. I am trying to separate the plates but am stuck. I cant separate the plates because I believe that the speed adjustment with the worm gear is holding them together as there is a worm gear on the outside of one plate and a spring attached to the to the worm gear shaft on the outside of the other plate. I have done some searching but so far have not found any explanation of how to unattach the speed adjustment so I can separate the plates. I am not even sure what that adjustment is actually called. New guy. Can someone tell me how to do this please? Thank you, John
JohnClu

Re: Seth Thomas movement plate removal with speed adjustment

Postby disciple_dan » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:47 am

Hello, JohnClu.
Can you send a couple pics of the clock? Maybe I can help if I can see the problem. Thanks, Danny
Thanks, and be blessed, Danny
disciple_dan

Postby JohnClu » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:44 pm

Thanks Danny for offering to help. I was able to talk to an old clock guy and he suggested that the spring on the end of the arbor was held in place by setting in a hole in the arbor and he was correct however I think my spring was actually broken but it still operated correctly as I removed the broken piece from the hole and the spring was able to come off. Do you know anything about Bergeon bushings? I am ordering bushings for this movement but am not finding exact fits according to the pivot sizes I am measuring. Do you broach out the inside of pivots for the final fit. Maybe that is not the correct term. Thanks Danny. John
JohnClu

Postby disciple_dan » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:56 am

Hey< John.
Glad you got apart. We would still like to see pictures and it may help someone else later on.
Yes, you need a good set of reamers and broaches.
Bergeon cost is pretty high so I use the KWM system. It's American made and much less expensive. I'm not sure if there is a huge quality difference as I have never used Bergeon.
If you have access to the teaching videos on Bob's website you should study them. He explains step by step how to repair a movement. It's a must for beginners. If you don't have access I think you should. It's very inexpensive and worth more than words can convey.
Best wishes to you, Danny
disciple_dan

Postby JohnClu » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:15 pm

I finaly have everything apart that needs to be so maybe when everything is clean, re bushed and ready to assemble I'll take some pictures if I can figure out how to put them on. I am in the ultra Horology course and will be going back over Bob's work on bushing. Thanks, John
JohnClu

Postby disciple_dan » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:39 am

Sounds great John, Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
disciple_dan

Return to General Discussion Forum