[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Tascione • View topic - Grandfather Clock

Grandfather Clock

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Grandfather Clock

Postby Tik246Doc » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:06 pm

Howdy All,

Just joined and first time ever using a forum. Hope this works-suggestions welcome.

Anyhow, Been tinkering with clocks, mostly early American mantles and wall. Have a Howard Miller grandfather that for some reason even with bob as far down as it will go without falling off will run and hour + fast every 24 hours. Any suggestions on what may be causing this condition that might be an easy fix before I have to build a test stand and dismantle which I plan on doing anyhow, but still have a dozen or so wall clocks to mess with. Kinda new at this but am kinda old.

Thanks for any help.

Rich
Tik246Doc

Re: Grandfather Clock

Postby willofiam » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:41 am

Hello Rich, could be many things starting with overall condition though the first thing I would look at is the escapement.
Have a great day, William
willofiam

Postby Tik246Doc » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:23 pm

Bill,

Danged if ya didn't hit it right on the head. I had just downloaded Bob's troubleshooting list and just minutes (no pun) ago, I opened up the side panels and gave it a look and lo and behold the escapement wheel was jumping several teeth at a time and it looks as though it has pretty much worn them down. Now two questions: Where might I be able to find some poop on how to disassemble this baby and where might I go to find some plans on building a test stand for it? Its a Howard Miller Model 610-366 with a 354044G movement if that helps. Golly, wish I had signed up with you guys sooner. This is one of the best sites yet!

Thanks for your answer - you made my day.

Rich
Tik246Doc

Postby willofiam » Wed May 02, 2018 8:45 am

willofiam

Postby Tik246Doc » Thu May 03, 2018 8:03 am

William,

Hey, thanks so much for getting back to me. Great test stand. I'll start on that right away, probably a smaller version as I am limited on space, (small bedroom in a mobilehome). As far as the numbers, I will recheck. They were off of a Howard Miller sticker inside the case. Will get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks again. Lot of help for sure.

Rich
Cambria
Tik246Doc

Postby Tik246Doc » Tue May 15, 2018 7:55 am

William,

I double checked the numbers and they do jive. Only enough however I noticed and addition little plaque attached to the door of the case which is different than the serial number on the inside.
I will send those photos as soon as I can figure out how to do so.

Rich
Tik246Doc

Postby Tik246Doc » Tue May 22, 2018 7:13 am

William,

Just finished my grandfather test stand. Will be pulling out the movement soon and will probably have a few more questions along the way. Will keep you posted. Thanks again.

Rich
Cambria
Tik246Doc

Postby Tik246Doc » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:16 am

William,

Well got the movement out. It is an Urgos movement and from what I can determine is not the original. Tweeked the verge, (dang those teeth on the escape wheel are tiny), gave it a quick cleaning and oiling, back in the case and right on! Thanks for all your help. Now the wife won't let me sell it.

Rich
Cambria
Tik246Doc

Postby willofiam » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:29 am

and soon you will have 50 clocks around the house....
willofiam

Postby Tik246Doc » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:01 am

William,

Already do! And a few more to boot. Have to keep most of them in my office so she can sleep at night.

Rich
Tik246Doc

Return to General Discussion Forum