[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Tascione • View topic - Radium Hand Cleaning

Radium Hand Cleaning

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Radium Hand Cleaning

Postby digitaltripper » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:16 pm

Hello all,
I am currently servicing a Wittnauer A-11 8 day aircraft clock. The hands appear to have mildew on them?? Is this possible with radioactive hands, and if so, could I use a diluted bleach solution on say a qtip to remove the mildew??

I have included these pics:
20180320_181613.jpg
Radium Hands
20180320_181613.jpg (74.38 KiB) Viewed 3558 times
digitaltripper

Re: Radium Hand Cleaning

Postby Randy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:42 am

I would say that the mildew on radium hands is possible.
That said, I would not introduce any chemical to clean these. It's impossible to know what the reaction could be.

On the few radium hands that I've worked on, I only wiped them clean with rodico, and wore gloves and a mask.

These radioactive elements have half-lives of may years ( 100s-1000s).

I just don't think that without a lab setup, that we are safe to really take on the restoration of them

Best regards,

Randy
Randy

Postby Fresh767 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:08 am

Hi everybody - newbie here and trying to learn what I can about my new hobby

This article will_ probably_answer any questions on luminous dials. I found it a while ago. The article is quite long and very well written. One section, for example, is titled "Reactivating Radium Paint"

Here's another I just found:

Interesting additional info:

On a slightly different note, the following is unbelievable that some people can be so callous:

THAT'S IT … I'm done :(

FredF
Fresh767

Postby digitaltripper » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:54 pm

Hi Fred

Welcome to the forms and thank you for your input !! This clock is back to it's owner. I decided to leave the hands as they were. Thanks again and welcome.
digitaltripper

Return to General Discussion Forum