[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Tascione • View topic - Bent pivot

Bent pivot

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Bent pivot

Postby rgmt79 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:14 am

Advice please on what to do with this bent pivot. I'm not sure if its hardened, but maybe I should anneal before attempting to straighten it? Also the shoulder appears to have been distorted, not sure what to do about that? Maybe it will also straighten out when trying to bend the pinion back into line?
Attachments
IMG_0449.JPG
IMG_0449.JPG (982.74 KiB) Viewed 2783 times
Bentpinion.jpg
Bentpinion.jpg (25.12 KiB) Viewed 2783 times
rgmt79

Re: Bent pivot

Postby willofiam » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:52 am

OUCH!!! My thought on this is for it to bend and smush like that it is not very hard. Looks like heat was applied to the arbor already, and when I look at the first picture it almost looks like a shoulder and pivot is a separate piece, though that could be from a lack of coffee :shock:
I guess I would plan on re-pivoting it just in case it does break when trying to straighten it out. It looks like it may be possible to work the arbor shoulder back into shape and that may help the pivot a bit....maybe....
Have a great day, William
willofiam

Postby rgmt79 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:49 am

Hi William, yes it does look like a separate piece, maybe the pivot was replaced before. I have already received advice on the NAWCC forum suggesting that I should remove the pivot and shoulder almost back to the wheel and then dill a hole into the arbor and fit a new pivot per sketch attached. The general consensus is that it would be risky to try and straighten the end of the arbor without causing further damage and from what you have said, I think you would agree with that?
Thanks for your input.

Richard
Attachments
Pivot repair.jpg
Pivot repair.jpg (4.93 KiB) Viewed 2762 times
rgmt79

Postby willofiam » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:28 am

Have a great day, William
willofiam

Postby rgmt79 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:08 am

I think the colouring is from localised hardening of the pinion, I don't understand why they did not harden the pivot at the same time...maybe could have prevented this damage if they had...

Thanks again for your input Willliam

Richard
rgmt79

Return to General Discussion Forum