[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Tascione • View topic - Gonging Issues

Gonging Issues

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Gonging Issues

Postby Shermarie » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:47 am

Hello all,
I'm having some gonging issues with a Terry Clock Co. Kitchen/Parlor clock. The first and second strike sounds ok but then it speeds up
way to fast...sounds terrible. I've adjusted the fly as much as I know how (can't find any info on adjusting one) I'm not sure how tight they are suppose to be. I read on another forum that the spring on the gong lever may be tightened to slow it down?? Why would the first 2 strikes sound ok then go to fast? Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Sherry
Shermarie

Re: Gonging Issues

Postby willofiam » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:13 pm

Have a great day, William
willofiam

Postby Shermarie » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:37 pm

Hi William, The first time I put it together it made an awful tinny whirling type noise so after I didn't find any info I just bent the ears of the fly to tighten it on the shaft, but it would loosen up right away and like slip (is what I'm assuming) Soooo I put it in my vise and squeezed! maybe not such a good idea? But it did get rid of the noise. Still chimes to fast though. Something that I did along the way did slow it down somewhat. Was not sure if I was going after the right thing. So now it is confession time :oops: , I know that I screwed up the fan I put little rips in it where the shaft goes through, It is really thin compared to the new fans I ordered. But cannot get any of them on the shaft, the shaft seems to big in diameter. I did secure the fly with a small piece of wire to make it tighter for the time being to see if that helped but, no. After this if you still want pic's I can sure post a couple. I can't post a short video can I?
Thanks for the feed back William!
Sherry
Shermarie

Postby willofiam » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:45 am

Have a great day, William
willofiam

Postby Shermarie » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:04 pm

Hi William, when I took the clock apart to clean I remember the fan being considerably tighter than the other 2 clocks I have sitting here I could hardly turn it on the shaft, is this normal? The whole chime side was a mess when I took it apart, such as the locking lever was riding on top of the cam wheel, There is one pinion that looks as if the tip of it is broken off, but still rides between the plates fine (?) I think. The second wheel that has the little pegs that catch the hammer lever as it strikes (terminology...I'm working on it :) ) all those pegs are not very straight if that means anything. One of the other wheels was bent. So I guess what I'm saying is that maybe something else could be wrong?
I keep looking, but I also keep going back to the fly. Guess I also wondered about the mainspring as the more it unwinds the slower the chiming is, which I suppose is normal...
I will take it apart to get some pictures, hopefully tomorrow. If not, within the next few days. You want pic's of it together I assume.?
BTW I did take the fly off the arbor before I put it in the vice ;)
Thanks a lot,
Sherry
Shermarie

Postby SteveFitzwater » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:48 am

if it is striking to fast, either the mainspring is too strong, or the fly is loose which is allowing too much power to get to the gong.

the slower first couple of strikes could be a result of the fan slowing the release at the start, but eventually it is over powered by a strong mainspring. New mainspring?

only a wanna be apprentice here, so just tossing a thought into the mix
to first succeed, one must put forth the effort worthy of the success
SteveFitzwater

Postby clockmanbill » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:58 pm

Mind if I jump in? I have found that if one of the gears have a slight wobble it may start right but pick up speed as it gets going, over powering the resistance of the wobble. Chuck them up and check if they are bent a bit. Just a thought.
clockmanbill

Return to General Discussion Forum