[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Tascione • View topic - Another pocket watch

Another pocket watch

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Another pocket watch

Postby c.kelly » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:23 pm

Hi guys,
A week or so ago I posted a topic about an Illinois with a bad mainspring. Today a customer brought in an Elgin and he said he didn't know what happened but it just quit working. When I opened the back I said well right here is at least part of the problem. The hairspring had several bends in it right at the pins on the regulator arm. Like someone had tried to speed watch up but the regulator pins grabbed the hairspring and bent it about double. In the first picture you will see what it looked like after I got it out of the watch. I told the customer I would give it a go at fixing it back but made no promises. Told him I would relax a bit and get my mind right and see what I could do. In the other picture you can see how it worked out. Put the watch on my timeograph and it is a bit out of beat but it is running only about 6 seconds a day fast. Anyway I just wanted to share this one.
Attachments
DSCN3581.JPG
After repairing bent hairspring
DSCN3581.JPG (289.3 KiB) Viewed 3496 times
DSCN3579.JPG
Bent hairspring
DSCN3579.JPG (233.83 KiB) Viewed 3496 times
c.kelly

Re: Another pocket watch

Postby willofiam » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:28 am

Have a great day, William
willofiam

Postby c.kelly » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:24 pm

Hi,
No I don't have any special hairspring tools. What I used on that one was a pair of #3 tweezers and a 1 or .8mm screwdriver. I held the screwdriver in my left hand and picked up the spring at its various bent points and rubbed it against the stationary screwdriver. Sort of massage it a bit and then check to see what it looks like. Is time consuming but works for me. That particular spring was bent inward some then outward and to top it all off was bent downward as well. I just checked the watch before I picked up the computer here and it is still running and has kept good time for almost a full wind.
With a hairspring for a wristwatch I'll use #5 tweezers as the hairsprings are so small. The pocket watch spring here was too strong for the #5s. Sometimes when working on a wristwatch hairspring I'll have to use a microscope just to be able to see what I need.
c.kelly

Postby Bob Tascione » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:54 am

Beautiful job Charles!

Bob
Bob Tascione

Postby Bernie Weishapl » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:16 pm

Well done.
Bernie
Bernie Weishapl

Postby c.kelly » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:25 pm

Thanks for the comments. Back years ago hairsprings really scared me. I can't save them all but I do feel good when I get one shaped well.
Thanks again,
Charles K
c.kelly

Return to General Discussion Forum