[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Tascione • View topic - newbie on board from UK

newbie on board from UK

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

newbie on board from UK

Postby stuboy57 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:07 pm

Hi all, I'm Stuart from Cambridgeshire here in the UK...turned the big 60 earlier this year..... so glad I have come across and joined this forum after signing up for the online course....main interest is mantle clocks, westminster chiming clocks, French clocks and carriage clocks, infact any clock that takes my fancy......got into clocks about 18 months ago after I got an old mantle clock working that I brought about 10 years ago (overwound) from a local auction for £2.00, it sat about for 10 years and I finally took the movement out, cleaned all the muck and grime away, re-oiled and the clock was ticking away and chiming.....that was it I was hooked, so I brought several more and managed to get them working with a lot of trial and error on the way....but it was a learning massive learning curve so as I got more experience I went smaller, alarm clocks, travel clocks etc learning all the way........but now I like mainly Westminster Chiming Clocks and French Mantel Clocks.
This is my latest purchase a French "Medialle De Bronze" marble mantleclock which I think dates from 1890, which I picked up locally for £18.00......all complete with key and pendulum, movement needs a clean so do I clean and oil the best i can without taking apart or do I strip it done and rebuild?....plus what is the best way to clean and restore an old marble clock casing?
I've still got a lot to learn so hopefully you guys can help with my projects...thanks in advance
Attachments
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg (203.63 KiB) Viewed 2388 times
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg (307.99 KiB) Viewed 2388 times
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg (147.57 KiB) Viewed 2388 times
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (294 KiB) Viewed 2388 times
stuboy57

Re: newbie on board from UK

Postby TickTockShoppe » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:16 am

Hello Stuboy

I don't know much about cleaning marble cases so I won't attempt to contribute anything along those lines but I always strip clocks and watches complete down for cleaning. This is the only way I can throughly check the pivots and other internal components for wear or distortion. I know that there are those who feel that movements can be cleaned assembled using an utrasonic machine but my experience, especially with watches is that larger dirt particles and things like lint and hair become tangled up inside and can not move out of the movement.
Maybe someone else on the forum can answer your question about marble cases. My technique is probably not a good one! I would also be interested to know the best way to deal with them.

Cheers,
Ian
TickTockShoppe

Re: newbie on board from UK

Postby willofiam » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:00 am

Have a great day, William
willofiam

Return to General Discussion Forum