[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Tascione • View topic - Clock identification

Clock identification

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Clock identification

Postby rgmt79 » Sat May 27, 2017 8:59 am

Can anyone help me identify this clock please?
18765266_10212973561683937_895427862_o.jpg
18765266_10212973561683937_895427862_o.jpg (61.69 KiB) Viewed 5819 times
rgmt79

Re: Clock identification

Postby Bernie Weishapl » Tue May 30, 2017 5:50 am

Could you post a couple of pictures of the movement?
Bernie
Bernie Weishapl

Postby rgmt79 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:20 am

ok, I have now visited the owner of the clock for a better look. He even allowed me to remove the movement. There are no markings in or on the wooden case or anywhere on the movement that I could see. The movement seems intact except the suspension spring is missing. Also, the fast/slow mechanism appears to be missing. The pendulum rod is broken at the top end. The owner believes it was damaged (probably dropped) during a relocation more that 50 yeas ago. I suspect the pendulum was not removed for transit. Some of the wooden decorative features have broken off, but the pieces have been kept. The domed glass front is also missing. For me it's a very interesting clock and would like to know if anyone can help with some idea of clock maker and age of clock. I am only posting a sample of the many photo's I took, so please ask if you would like to see any particular detail. The clock has been in the same family for at least 3 generations and they believe it was originally purchased in Prague, Czech Republic and is now located in Brno.
The clock measures: 29" H 21" W 8" D with dial 8' dia. Dial face is hand painted enamel.
Attachments
IMG_0172 2red.jpg
IMG_0172 2red.jpg (920.76 KiB) Viewed 5798 times
IMG_0181red.jpg
IMG_0181red.jpg (971.83 KiB) Viewed 5798 times
IMG_0176 2 red.jpg
IMG_0176 2 red.jpg (984.73 KiB) Viewed 5798 times
IMG_0177red.jpg
IMG_0177red.jpg (944.86 KiB) Viewed 5798 times
rgmt79

Postby willofiam » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:03 am

Hey rgmt79 please try to resize your photos to a smaller size before posting them. Thank you, William
Have a great day, William
willofiam

Postby brianw » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:04 am

Hi. The general layout of the mechanism looks very similar to the one I posted on the forum some time ago ( https://www.clockrepairtips.com/forum/v ... f=2&t=2004)
I never did find out the make of my clock, but I am pretty sure that it is German.
brianw

Postby rgmt79 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:21 am

In response to your request William, I hope the following resized photo's are easier to view...sorry for not realising that earlier...

Richard
Attachments
IMG_0172 2red3.jpg
IMG_0172 2red3.jpg (48.11 KiB) Viewed 5785 times
IMG_0181red2.jpg
IMG_0181red2.jpg (56.77 KiB) Viewed 5785 times
IMG_0176 2 red2.jpg
IMG_0176 2 red2.jpg (45.53 KiB) Viewed 5785 times
IMG_0177red2.jpg
IMG_0177red2.jpg (44.32 KiB) Viewed 5785 times
rgmt79

Postby rgmt79 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:13 am

Thanks for your input Brian, I saw your clock and yes there are some similarities but some clear differences too. e.g. my clock has a working calendar feature with a 3rd hand on the dial...the mechanism can be seen on the front view of the movement. The closest I have come to something very similar in overall appearance is a clock made by Austrian clock maker C Doeller (o with an umlaut) from Vienna dating around 1800. Unlike your clock, there are no markings or repair notes at all. In fact it does not look as the movement has been disturbed at all and at first glance seems to be in good order except for the lack of suspension spring.

Do you have any more photo's of your movement, especially showing the silk suspension spring you refer to?

Thanks,

Richard
rgmt79

Postby brianw » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:06 am

Hi Richard. I've still got the clock but it is packed away at the moment. I'm in the process of building a new workshop in my garden and all clock work has come to a halt, probably until next spring. When I get back to it I will get some more photos for you. I'm interested in the fact that your clock actually has a working calendar. I wonder if mine originally had one but someone in the past has removed that part of the mechanism. It does seem a bit pointless having a calendar hand and dial that doesn't actually do anything.
brianw

Postby rgmt79 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:19 am

I have come to the conclusion that the clock was made in Vienna, Austria in the early 1800's at the beginning of the Biedermeier period, which began in 1815. Vienna was full of individual clockmakers at that time and many did not sign their products. The clock case is a classic Biedermeier design in a French style, but instead of gilded bronze favoured by the French clockmakers, the Austrians were not into casting bronze at the time, using gilded wood carvings instead. Anyone disagree with my conclusion?

Richard
rgmt79

Postby brianw » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:51 pm

Hi Richard.
Interestingly my clock is gilded carved wood so perhaps it too is Austrian. Does your clock have a pull repeat cord the same as mine?
Brian
brianw

Postby rgmt79 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:26 am

Yes Brian, it's a full Grand Sonnerie calendar clock.

Richard
rgmt79

Return to General Discussion Forum