Watch speeds up question

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Watch speeds up question

Postby chaplin37 » Sat May 20, 2017 11:19 am

What's everyone experience with a watch you just serviced, you wind it and it is running slow and when you turn the crown more the watch speeds up to the correct time. I know it can be a number of things but what is the most common problem?
chaplin37

Re: Watch speeds up question

Postby SteveFitzwater » Sat May 20, 2017 11:56 pm

so to clarify, your saying the more "power" your putting into the mainspring, the better it runs, and when the mainspring is low, it is running slow?

1- Bad/weak mainspring, so when it only partially wound the spring is too weak to keep correct time.

2- Train gear are binding, pivots need polishing, pivot holes/jewels are fouled with dried oil, etc.

3- The MS barrel pivot and pivot holes are worn, allowing the barrel to move just enough to increase the binding when under low power, and when under full power, it can either over power the binding, or the barrel moves into a less binding alignment.

Those are three I would check for first and in that order, if you give the watch just one turn of the crown, does it run? (ie. under minimal power?), if the mainspring is new, then I would guess the train is binding up. Not sure who I saw saying this, but a newly serviced watch should be able to run with just one turn and keep good time, ever since I read that, it has been my benchmark test I perform every time. Of course the third item could be true for every wheel in the train, but I think the misalignment would be present at all times if it was anything other then the barrel.
to first succeed, one must put forth the effort worthy of the success
SteveFitzwater

Return to General Discussion Forum