[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Tascione • View topic - Hello new to watchmaking and a couple of problems

Hello new to watchmaking and a couple of problems

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Hello new to watchmaking and a couple of problems

Postby Monkeynuts » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:13 pm

Hello my names Marcus from the uk and just started bobs fantastic course
Learning so much so quickly and very much enjoying it

I striped a non working pocket watch down and put it all back and saw a problem and it
Started working again ...fantastic now time to dismantle again and this time clean and oil

Now couple of problems

I take the ratchet spring off and it flys off into what I can only presume is a 5th dimension .. three hours in a small wooden floored room searching and no spring found
I have brought a thin piece of brass rod and going to make a new clip spring is this ok? Is there a better way or is this ok? Picture here of original clip spring and rod I have ordered

Now second problem I put everything into the ultrasonic cleaner and everything has come up lovely and clean but the pivot has come away from the escape wheel
How is this reattached? And which way up does the pivot attach?

Many thanks in advance for any help
Monkeynuts

Re: Hello new to watchmaking and a couple of problems

Postby Monkeynuts » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:15 pm

Here's picture of escape wheel and pivot
Monkeynuts

Postby Randy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:24 pm

Welcome to the fold Marcus.

Brass wire won't be your best choice.
You want some small diameter spring steel..and not too stiff.
Cousins UK- parts house in your country , should be able to supply what you need.
They may also sell an assortment of click springs,..you might want to check as that's an easy way to get spares.

From my own experience,. you should take these springs out using a small plastic bag..that keeps most of them from flying off into space.
I can also heartily recommend a 12 inch magnet. They are indispensable when trying to find small items.

As for the escape wheel,..I think that you'll find that it needs to be pressed onto the shoulder-shelf of the pivot. ( the bottom side of it as it appears on the picture you supplied ).
You will need to stake it on to ensure that it stays in place and doesn't rotate.
You'll need to place it into the movement plate to ensure that the teeth are oriented correctly.

All the best...hope this was helpful

Randy
Randy

Postby Monkeynuts » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:23 am

Many thanks just ordered some spring wire and many thanks on the bag trick I have a small set of watch punches will these be suitable to stake the wheel back on
Monkeynuts

Postby Randy » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:41 am

You need to find a flat faced one in the lot, that fits over the pinion end.
Be careful, as you don't want to damage the gear teeth (pinion leaves ).
R
Randy

Postby Monkeynuts » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:55 am

Hi randy many thanks for you help and advice ordered a boat magnet also, unfortunately I did indeed strip a tooth completely off the pivot, it just wasn't grabbing it and I messed up big time ,

really disappointed as like I said I had it working again still lessons learned so a good learning experience for the next one
I think I need to invest in a staking tool I guess this is the way forward to avoid this happening again? Also is this something that happens a lot on the pivots coming away from the wheels did I clean to much and to long maybe in the ultrasonic

Thanks so much
Monkeynuts

Postby Randy » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:50 pm

Sorry to hear that...

Yes, you should get a complete staking set when possible. They perform many "controlled" functions for the watchmaker.

Not too common to have them come loose but it will happen, especially with older movements.
It's possible that you were too aggressive in cleaning this, especially if you scrubbed it too hard with a brush prior to the ultrasonic bath ??

Don't get discouraged...there's a steep learning curve at the beginning...but stay with it and you will get the hang of it.

Best
Randy
Randy

Postby Monkeynuts » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:28 am

It most definitely is a steep learning curve but it's great having the experience help on this forum to come too when in doubt

Snagged this set from the bay , need to learn how to use it now but got two dead watches to practice on now a least

Made this set up out of two boxes after losing first screw and haven't lost another yet ,love the bag trick for the springs definitely going to do this way in the future fingers crossed I won't have to ever use the boat magnet I've I feel I will though

Also brought myself some mainspring winders for pocket watches and wrist watches I love all the different tools for watchmakers some really ingenious tools out there

Many thanks for your help and advice much appreciated
Monkeynuts

Postby Monkeynuts » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:47 am

Just found this staking tool manual on how to use I'm sure all you guys know about this but I'm posting the link for other newbies like me
http://cholla.mmto.org/watches/repair/m ... _tools.pdf

https://meridian-height.smugmug.com/Oth ... /i-5RrN6Wn
Monkeynuts

Postby Randy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:04 pm

Hey Marcus....
Good "snag" !
I like your box idea..looks like it keeps everything in place and controlled.

Slowly build up your tools as you can afford.
Read a lot of material online to help you decide what's not worth purchasing, as well as what's worth saving for.
A craftsman has to have decent tools for the best results.

Ask us for our opinion as well...as many of us have gone through the trial and error phase.
We can help save you a lot of angst.

Keep asking questions...

BTW,..can I ask where you are in the UK ?
The wife and I spent a month in the Midlands, just south of Bloxham about 5 years ago...it was wonderful !

Best

Randy
Randy

Postby Monkeynuts » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:25 am

Hi randy
Boxham in the Cotswolds very pretty, I'm from a small town called Kettering in Northamptonshire the local villages are quite similar to the Cotswolds just nowhere near as posh but in my opinion even prettier

Brought myself a job lot of old movements for £36 so with the one I'm working on at the moment should give me plenty of practice so expect a lot more questions , I'm not too proud to ask a stupid question lol
These are a bit smaller then the ones I have been working on and some are quite tiny but it's all the same animal

Also I couldn't get on with the round movement holders the movement never stayed still so I brought a Bergeon 4040 and it's fantastic

Monkeynuts

Postby Randy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:32 am

Thanks for sharing....sorry I took so long to reply !

Looks like you have some fun things to work on.

Keep in touch !
Randy

Postby Monkeynuts » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:28 am

Thanks Randy
Killed another movement but learned how to remove and install piñon to wheel using the staking tool learning so much from these old movements

Made mistake on this one on the cleaning , does this sound ok on the cleaning 1.put in a jar of lighter fluid degreaser and place in ultrasonic filled with water for 3mins 2.ultrasonic in water for 3mins 3.kitchen roll dry 4.put in isopropanol for 2 mins 5. Blow dry
Essence of Renata for hairspring and mainspring
Monkeynuts

Postby Randy » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:33 pm

Marcus.
There are a few solvents that work.
Lighter fluid seems to do the job..as for how long in the ultrasonic cleaner, you'll have to base it on your results.
I would suggest 6 minutes.even longer if the movement is really dirty.
DO NOT however, put the pallet fork in the ultrasonic for very long.
I personally like to hand wash them in solvent.to ensure that the shellac on the pallet stones don't soften and allow the stones to move or fall out.

I think that some use distilled water for the rinse ( leaves less residue ) then air dry ( or use a hairdrier or drier-box ).
If you towel dry, you risk getting lint and other debris on your clean parts.

All said...search for what others use for this purpose...I use commercial solvents by L&R..not cheap..but they go a long way, and do a good job

Best

Randy
Randy

Postby Randy » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:40 pm

Marcus...do you have Skype..or Facetime ??
I think I can help you better that way if you're interested ???
R
Randy

Postby Monkeynuts » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:05 am

Hi Randy
Many thank again for your help ,I don't have Skype or FaceTime I'm a bit of a dinosaur in regards to social media, I have a email if any good blakepeter20@yahoo.com
Really appreciate your help
Monkeynuts

Postby Randy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:05 am

Thanks Marcus..I understand.
OK..that's one more way we can communicate !

I may shoot you a note from mine today...

R
Randy

Return to General Discussion Forum