[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Tascione • View topic - Hands out of alignment

Hands out of alignment

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Hands out of alignment

Postby sunny_birds » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:56 pm

HELP. Does anyone have any ideas how to align the minute hand to strike at the correct time?
The centre cam seams to be in the wrong place.
Robin
sunny_birds

Re: Hands out of alignment

Postby willofiam » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:47 am

Hi Robin. What type or name of movement are you dealing with?
Have a great day, William
willofiam

Postby sunny_birds » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:15 pm

Not sure of the spelling, but it looks like Kienzle
It's a large carriage clock with Westminster chime, stands about 300mm high
Robin
sunny_birds

Postby willofiam » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:24 am

Robing, take a look at the minute hand, does it have a brass collar where it mounts to the shaft?
willofiam

Postby sunny_birds » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:19 pm

Hi William
Yes it does, but I was worried about breaking the hand if I tried to turn it.
Robin
sunny_birds

Postby willofiam » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:00 pm

willofiam

Postby sunny_birds » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:22 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. As resetting the centre cam would be very difficult.
I was thinking of filing a square on the end of an appropriate size drill, to hold the centre, but was not sure if it was supposed to move at all.
Will let you know how I get on.
Robin
sunny_birds

Postby willofiam » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:16 am

Better have someone check me on this, heck I forget my name sometimes :roll: The center cam is not what would need to be adjusted on a rack and snail movement. It seems like that would be it but all adjustment are made thru other pieces.
willofiam

Postby Bernie Weishapl » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:26 am

Here is what I use to adjust the hand collets so the minute hand will be on time. http://timesavers.com/i-8947503-clock-h ... -tool.html
It works quite well and will put it in a vise at times if the hand is being stubborn. Most times though the hands will turn easily without the vise. I would not as William said do any adjusting on the rack and snail. You could be getting yourself into trouble there. I have never had to make a adjustment on snail except to make sure the count rack tail fails in the proper place on the snail so you get the correct count on the strike.
Bernie
Bernie Weishapl

Postby willofiam » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:01 am

willofiam

Postby sunny_birds » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:52 pm

Hi all
Have not had time to try your suggestions yet, but I'm glad it's not the centre cam.
Will post with my results soon.
Thanks again
Robin
sunny_birds

Postby sunny_birds » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:29 am

Hi William& Bernie
Thanks for your comments, I made up a tool and all went as you suggested.
Much easier than my first thoughts.
Thanks again
Robin
sunny_birds

Postby sunny_birds » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:26 pm

Just thought I would add this post script.
After all this, went to fully wind the clock, and the Spring slipped for the hour strike drive. Which was what I was replacing in the first place.
Oh well back to square one.
Robin
sunny_birds

Return to General Discussion Forum