Galonne Pocket Watch

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Galonne Pocket Watch

Postby Shermarie » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:45 pm

Hello everyone :)
A newbie here trying to figure out how to get a Galonne pocket watch apart :? I'm having trouble determining how to, or if I have to remove the winding stem before I can
remove it from the case. I have searched to no avail! The stem does not seem to pull out, but I don't want to try to hard for fear of breaking something! I've never seen a
pocket watch with the little set button like this one has in any info that I've come across.
will try posting some pic's
Thank you for any advice in advance!!
Attachments
IMG_3739 2.jpg
IMG_3739 2.jpg (105.14 KiB) Viewed 3434 times
IMG_3734 2.jpg
IMG_3734 2.jpg (82.89 KiB) Viewed 3434 times
IMG_3731 2.jpg
IMG_3731 2.jpg (70.08 KiB) Viewed 3434 times
Shermarie

Re: Galonne Pocket Watch

Postby Bob Tascione » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:48 am

Welcome to the forum Shermarie,
Good job on those pics. Helps a bunch.
The stem/crown in your pin setting watch is held in position by way of a lever between the plates. You can release it by loosening the tiny screw on the movement that's nearest the pendant (at the top in your pic). While loosening it gently pull the crown outward until it slips out and then Stop loosening at that point. If you keep turning you'll disconnect the screw from the bar completely and will need to disassemble the movement to re-attach it. You should then be able turn the case screws enough to release the movement.

Note: Your watch has a cylinder escapement rather than common lever escapement found in most watches. It's very important to have a good understanding of this type of escapement before attempting to disassemble and assemble as it's easy to damage. The course doesn't cover this type of escapement so if you're just starting out you may want to hold off on tackling your watch at this time. You can grab a good American lever escapement movement up on e bay which might be easier for you to learn with. Just my suggestion but if you would still like to work on your watch then you'll find some previous discussion up here on the forum about working on cylinder escapements. There's also some info online about them which a Goog. search should bring up.

Hope this helps Shermarie,
Bob
Bob Tascione

Postby Shermarie » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:36 pm

Thank you Bob for all your advice! I'm so glad I asked!(I have to admit I was a little hesitant to post, it seems like a mans world :oops:
but I really enjoy repairing watches, and have enjoyed your lessons! They are very helpful! I hope to tackle a mantle clock soon!)
It's my husbands Dad's watch and I've been scared to attempt it. Glad I was, I'm sure I would of broke something!!
I will definitely be researching cylinder escapements before I attempt this one! :shock:
Thank You again!!
Sherry
Shermarie

Postby Randy » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:10 am

Sherry,
Welcome...and please don't hesitate to post here. There are many women in this field..and I would hazard to guess more and more joining every year.
You are welcome here...we have no egos...just a love of the craft, and a desire to share and help as we can.

All the best

Randy
Randy

Postby Shermarie » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:04 pm

Thanks Randy...much appreciated!!
Shermarie

Return to General Discussion Forum