Clock won't keep going

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Clock won't keep going

Postby sunny_birds » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:21 pm

I brought a clock not going and in bits. Have stripped it down and reassembled. Chime and hour works fine, but clock won't run more than about 15 seconds. But spins well with ( don't know what you call it) escarpment wheel ratchet control removed. It's a triple chime Hermle grandfather clock made in 1983.
Any suggestions would be great fully received.
Robin
sunny_birds

Re: Clock won't keep going

Postby SteveFitzwater » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:01 pm

well based off what you have shared with us, it could be a lot of things, first thing I would check is the pivot hole wear, does any of them need to be bushed, did you replace the mainsprings? if not, I would look there, were the pinion polished, if not were any of them show any wear. these should give you a start on things to look out
to first succeed, one must put forth the effort worthy of the success
SteveFitzwater

Postby Bernie Weishapl » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:01 pm

I agree with what Steve said. If you have it cleaned the clock, the pivots are polished, oiled, mainsprings cleaned/oiled and assembled. Make sure the mainsprings are still totally let down. Then what I do with the verge removed take a clock key and wind the mainspring 1 maybe 2 clicks but no more than that. The clock time train gears should turn 15 to 30 seconds. If it does not then you have a problem in the train generally needing bushings somewhere along the train. The mainspring could be set also not giving you enough power or pivots worn and not polished or it needs bushing somewhere in the train. I do this 2 click test on every clock I do and if one or two clicks won't run it for 15 to 30 seconds then you need to be looking for why you have a loss of power.
Bernie
Bernie Weishapl

Postby SteveFitzwater » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:16 am

OH MY, another secret from the masters, hmm I like that testing the train with very little power.. thanks for that! Will be adding that to my final assembly procedures! Yes I have a list, I am old and I forget stuff... no, misplace stuff in my mind... LOL
to first succeed, one must put forth the effort worthy of the success
SteveFitzwater

Postby Bernie Weishapl » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:39 am

I am old at 70. That is why I have a list. Of course my grandmother called me a snot nose kid as she was 101. :lol: :lol:
Bernie
Bernie Weishapl

Postby sunny_birds » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:56 pm

Hi all, sorry not to have replied before.
Have taken your suggestions on board, my problem now is clock runs too fast.
I re posted the question as time adjustment, not realising I had not replied to you first.
Again sorry for that
Robin
sunny_birds

Return to General Discussion Forum