[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Tascione • View topic - Identification of interesting clock

Identification of interesting clock

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Identification of interesting clock

Postby brianw » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:44 am

Hello Everyone,
I've just purchased what I think is a very interesting clock inlaid Victorian clock. I think it is German because there are some repairers notes on the inside of the back door which appear to be in German. There are three trains and two gongs with a repeat cord and a silent lever. It strikes the hour on the hour and one strike at the first quarter, two at the second and three at the third. There appears to be a day-of-the-month function in the centre of the dial. The suspension is silk and there is a makers stamp which looks like a combined J and K on the back of the movement at the bottom. There is no indication of what the second gong does or the third train, so something must be wrong somewhere. I haven't taken it apart yet to find out.
I've looked everywhere that I know to identify the makers stamp but haven't found anything. I'm hoping that one of you will know the answer.
I've included some photographs that I hope will help in the identification.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Brian
DSCN6445.jpg
DSCN6445.jpg (380.46 KiB) Viewed 8998 times
DSCN6444.jpg
DSCN6444.jpg (468.45 KiB) Viewed 8998 times
DSCN6443.jpg
DSCN6443.jpg (290.09 KiB) Viewed 8998 times
DSCN6442.jpg
DSCN6442.jpg (417.82 KiB) Viewed 8998 times
brianw

Re: Identification of interesting clock

Postby brianw » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:35 am

The clock has started gonging the way it should. It gongs out quarter one with one gong then quarter 2 with two gongs, then three gongs for three quarters and four gongs for the hour. The other gong and train is for gonging out the number of the hour with a different tone.
brianw

Postby Bob Tascione » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:13 am

Hey Brian I'm not going to be of any help to you identifying your clock but just wanted to say 'Nice Clock'! You guys over there come across some great timepieces.
Hopefully someone will know what that 'K' stands for.

Take care,
Bob
Bob Tascione

Postby dulwich2410 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:28 pm

Hi Brian I am fascinated by your lovely clock I think it may be German or Dutch ?
When will you remove the movement to post some more photos,I attend a clock
Club,some of the boys have access to good information hope this may help.

All the best John.
dulwich2410

Postby brianw » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:23 pm

Hi John,
Thanks for your interest. Unfortunately I am going to be in Australia for the next four weeks visiting my son so will not be able to look inside the clock until I get back. I must say that I am very interested in what I will find. I've never seen a clock with a day-of-the-month indicator concentric with the hands before. The clock appears to be well made and the glass on the dial is hand blown. I'll post some photographs and include some of the notes on the inside that previous repairers have left for posterity.
Regards, Brian
brianw

Postby disciple_dan » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:38 pm

Hey, all. I just got an interesting clock from a friend that found it in a dump trailer and thought I might like to have it. Here some pics . do you know anything about this clock?
Attachments
Unidentified.jpg
Unidentified.jpg (792.06 KiB) Viewed 8939 times
20160927_100443.jpg
20160927_100443.jpg (755.2 KiB) Viewed 8940 times
Thanks, and be blessed, Danny
disciple_dan

Postby brianw » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:14 am

This may be a vienna type wall clock by Kienzle as they use a winged emblem, but not the same as yours which I can't find anywhere so I may well be wrong.
D.G.M.S.stands for the German words: “Deutscher Gebrauchs Muster Schutz” which is translated as German usage patterns protection.
brianw

Postby disciple_dan » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:37 am

Unidentified emblem.jpg
Unidentified emblem.jpg (214.22 KiB) Viewed 8933 times
disciple_dan

Postby disciple_dan » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:47 pm

Thanks, Brian, I looked for a clock like this for quite a while today and could not find this emblem. I'm sure you are right about it being a Vienna. The case is typical and the dial. I found many clocks that look similar in design but not with this emblem.Is that maybe some emblem design that the person that built the clock put on it? wonder. All the similar clocks I found seem to have a different emblem. I'll keep looking.
Thanks again, God bless, take care, Danny.
disciple_dan

Postby rgmt79 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:26 am

Hi Danny, is the clock weight driven? Do you have the case?
rgmt79

Postby disciple_dan » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:33 pm

Hey, Richard. I do have the case. It's pretty beat up. I'll post some pics if you would like to see it. The movement is a double barrel spring, Meaning the time and chime have barrel springs.
It looks like it was a cheap made clock but the movement looks much better made. I wasn't going to mess with it for a while because I am just learning and I want to work on some simple stuff first. Although, this cuckoo clock i'm working on has not been simple. Thanks for your interest.
Danny
disciple_dan

Postby brianw » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:48 am

I've finally got round to having a closer look at this clock. I was a bit disappointed to find that there is no mechanism for indicating the date.
I guess you are supposed to just move it manually every day. This seems a bit pointless to me.
On the other hand the movement is quite interesting. You may be able to see that the winding arbors have been twisted into corkscrews.
I can't do anything about that at the moment as my workshop currently consists of a large slab of concrete in the garden waiting for the
weather to improve so that it can be built.
P1030891.jpg
P1030891.jpg (381.74 KiB) Viewed 8730 times
brianw

Postby willofiam » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:02 am

Hey Brian...A NEW SHOP :shock: I cant wait...
Have a great day, William
willofiam

Postby brianw » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:42 am

I think I may have found the maker of this clock. I found this thread
http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?6310 ... Date-Maker
The markings on my movement suggest that the maker is F.Kunz. My movement is certainly very similar to the one in the nawcc website.
Another link on eBay suggests that it may be F.Kunz of Vienna.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANTIQUE-AUSTR ... SwCmZZU52k
Thanks for all the feedback on this.
Brian
brianw

Return to General Discussion Forum