Introducing myself

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Re: Introducing myself

Postby rgmt79 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:39 am

Ok, since my last posting, I have now done some research and established that despite the name Seth Thomas on the face of the dial, this is not a Seth Thomas clock. It in fact a Japanese clock Seikosha. You will see from the pictures below that the only mark anywhere on the clock is the trademark on the movement frame. The pendulum is not correct for this clock, I fail to understand how it found it's way among the box of parts sent to me, the seller is none the wiser either. Anyway, I have attached a picture of the complete movement and associated pendulum (I found these on another clock forum). I would appreciate any comments anyone might have about this clock and it's movement. Also, advice on where I can obtain a pendulum like the one in the photo?

Thanks,

Richard
Attachments
Seikosha 3.jpg
Seikosha 3.jpg (73.54 KiB) Viewed 2839 times
Seikosha 1.jpg
Seikosha 1.jpg (89.33 KiB) Viewed 2839 times
rgmt79

Postby Bernie Weishapl » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:40 am

What makes you think this is a Japanese clock Seikosha? Could you take a good close up pic's of the movement especially the trademark? That looks like a seth thomas trademark but can't be sure. I tried to blow it up but gets blurry but it looks like a ST logo to me. Attached is a ST trademark symbol.
Attachments
Seth Thomas Trademark 1.jpg
Seth Thomas Trademark 1.jpg (17.9 KiB) Viewed 2830 times
Bernie
Bernie Weishapl

Postby rgmt79 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:31 am

Hi Bernie, I'm sorry, I thought I had loaded a picture of the Seikosha symbol on the movement. It seems that this company started out by copying ST clocks (movements and cases). I first became suspicious when I tried to match the case with the range of cases made by ST and there was nothing of similar size...in fact the clock I have is about 75% the size of the ST Global. The movement is pretty much identical to the equivalent ST.

Thanks for your interest. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Richard
Attachments
IMG_0119 2.jpg
IMG_0119 2.jpg (323.45 KiB) Viewed 2830 times
rgmt79

Postby rgmt79 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:50 am

I have now removed the fake paper dial and pleased to find that the original (also paper) Seikosha dial is still there and in good condition. I have removed as mush of the new dial and it's glue as I can without wanting to damage the original...I think it will look good in the restored clock:-)

Richard
Attachments
IMG_0209.red.jpg
IMG_0209.red.jpg (591.24 KiB) Viewed 2799 times
IMG_0107.red.jpg
IMG_0107.red.jpg (541.98 KiB) Viewed 2799 times
rgmt79

Previous

Return to General Discussion Forum