Mainspring Question

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Mainspring Question

Postby chaplin37 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:17 pm

Hello, Everyone, I have a question about mainsprings. I bought two nice pocket watches from ebay and obviously they aren't working. The balance moves on them and when I got the both of them they were fully winded up and had to let down the main spring. I winded up back up to see if the second hand would start moving and I got nothing. I haven't really taken them both apart to start cleaning and troubleshooting because I'm waiting on a couple of tools that should be arriving this week. My question is is this kinda problem mainly the main spring or could it be something else? Thanks
chaplin37

Re: Mainspring Question

Postby Bob Tascione » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:42 pm

Hi Chaplin37,
If you are able to wind the mainspring fully then it's something else. That's not to say that the mainspring is in good condition as it could be set. Even then it should deliver enough power at full wind to get a watch running that's in otherwise good condition. There are many conditions ranging from dirt to broken parts that can prevent it from running. A thorough inspection will most likely reveal the problem (or problems).
Let us know what you find out or if you have more questions as you go.
Have fun Chaplin37,
Bob
Bob Tascione

Return to General Discussion Forum