Elgin Pocket Watch Fun

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Elgin Pocket Watch Fun

Postby wingman » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:50 am

Any suggestions as to how to assemble the watch? I can get all the pivots in place but not the anchor due to the fact it has to also slide into the lower balance cock. No wonder they stopped making this model...
Attachments
Elgin 003.jpg
This is the way it came apart. The escapement wheel and anchor were "glued" into the plate with dirt and 100 year old oil.
Elgin 003.jpg (112.3 KiB) Viewed 2519 times
Elgin 004.jpg
Elgin 004.jpg (160.55 KiB) Viewed 2519 times
Elgin 005.jpg
Elgin 005.jpg (141.15 KiB) Viewed 2519 times
wingman

Re: Elgin Pocket Watch Fun

Postby wingman » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:08 am

Hey I can post my own reply. After trying several ways to get all the pinons into place I tried putting the escapement wheel and lever in the bridge pinion hole. Then I lowereed the bottom plate onto the bridge. It worked and the watch runs! First watch. Awesome feeling of accomplishment.
wingman

Re: Elgin Pocket Watch Fun

Postby Bob Tascione » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:25 pm

Congratulations Wingman!
I believe you found the best solution.
Many (but not all) full plate 18 size American watches will assemble much easier if assembled upside down rather than from the pillar plate. Some models like the Waltham 1883 can be built from the piller plate as the top plate can be tilted and the pallet inserted into the potence from between the plates. Most other models, like yours go together easier the way that you did it. This topic has been touched on a couple of times before in this forum... If you would like to take a look then see viewtopic.php?f=2&t=58&hilit=upside+down
Enjoy!
Bob
Bob Tascione

Return to General Discussion Forum