Basic cleaning

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Basic cleaning

Postby Geppetto » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:51 pm

Greetings to all!

I am a newbie and learning alot from the great videos Bob has offered to us. I just hope that I will one day be equipped with enough knowledge to pass on to someone younger one day. I am 38 and have alot to learn so here we go. While doing some research I noticed some clockmakers offering basic cleaning and oiling at a lower price. But then in the overhaul at a higher price, include full disassembly of the movement, mainsprings, and then an ultrasonic cleaning.

Now as a beginner I want to learn good habits and it seems to me if the clock is not working to begin with, one would need to break it all the way down, identify the problem, and give everything a thorough cleaning with the ultrasonic. So my question today is what actually is "basic cleaning?"

Thanks,
Geppetto
Geppetto

Re: Basic cleaning

Postby Bob Tascione » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:30 am

Welcome to the forum Geppetto!
That's a real good question to ask. I feel that you are absolutely correct when you say "it seems to me if the clock is not working to begin with, one would need to break it all the way down, identify the problem, and give everything a thorough cleaning with the ultrasonic". A basic cleaning to me would be a thorough cleaning and no cutting corners. This can be done without an ultrasonic cleaner as it was for hundreds of years before these cleaners appeared, but greater care should be given to make sure all dirt has been removed.
Enjoy and again Welcome to the forum Geppetto,
Bob
Bob Tascione

Re: Basic cleaning

Postby Geppetto » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:30 pm

Thanks Bob :D I'm learning alot!
Geppetto
Geppetto

Return to General Discussion Forum