[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Tascione • View topic - Making a brass spring wire

Making a brass spring wire

The Clock 'Making' Forum is dedicated to clock parts fabrication and clock building techniques. All members are welcome and encouraged to share their related projects, ideas, comments and questions. Please use the "General Forum" for all repair questions or other topics not related to the actual making of parts.

All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Making a brass spring wire

Postby willofiam » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:40 pm

Hey everyone. I have recently made several of these brass spring wires. While I was making some new ones I remembered when I had first started out repairing clocks. The first one I made I wound by hand right on the actual arbor, what a deal :roll: .....it didn't turn out very nice and it was kind of frustrating. Had to find a different way!
I came across Steve Conovers book and used the technique he had described. Worked great!!!

So many times I have come across the proverbial "rats nest" of twisted brass wire, pieces that have broken and just rewound around something nearby, I have even seen them pulled over a wrapped around another arbor, sometimes just cut off and left. The spring wires are key to proper function of several different parts in many clocks.

So, I decided to make a video on how I wind these along with the "apparatus" I made for doing it. I hope this video gives you some ideas about how to make these spring wires. To be able to make a nice new spring wire in just a few minutes will cost pennies and make a overhaul on a clock movement "just right" :D

Though this is a rather simple task it is important and does not require any fancy tooling.

If you have a different "apparatus" please share.
Thank you and have fun, William

Another great place to visit for clock and watch repair is http://LearnTimeOnline.com
BACK TO FORUM INDEX PAGE: http://clockrepairtips.com/forum/index.php

BACK TO FORUM INDEX PAGE: http://clockrepairtips.com/forum/index.php
Have a great day, William
willofiam

Re: Making a brass spring wire

Postby jim1228 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:55 pm

Great video William

Jim
jim1228

Postby willofiam » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:01 am

Thank you Jim, good to hear from yah. Hope all is well. William
willofiam

Postby gerene » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:50 am

Great video William.

Jan
gerene

Postby Bernie Weishapl » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:10 am

Great video William. I use a shaft with a hole to hold the end of the spring like yours. I hold the shaft to make them with my foredom flex shaft. With my foot control it is easy to do. I hold the foredom head lightly in a vise then I have both hands free and can control it with the foot control for a very slow speed when winding.
Bernie
Bernie Weishapl

Postby avittek » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:31 pm

Nifty tool you made, William. Does it matter in which direction you wind a spring?
Andrea
avittek

Postby willofiam » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:13 pm

Thank you Jan, always good to hear from you.
Bernie that is a great idea, thanks for sharing that.
Andrea, yes it does matter. Depending on the direction of force you want determines the way you would wind it (I usually have to think it through a few times :roll: ). To confuse it a bit more when deciding which direction to wind, you have to determine where you would want the long end of the spring to be. So in the video if I wanted the long end to be on the inside I would have to wind it in the other direction.
Hope that make sense.
William
willofiam

Postby avittek » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:29 pm

That's one of those things that I will probably do wrong before I get it right!
Andrea
avittek

Postby willofiam » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:01 pm

Me too, over and over again....
willofiam

Postby brianw » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:53 pm

Thanks for an interesting video William
brianw

Postby willofiam » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:10 am

Hey Brian, good to hear from you.. Thank you and have a great day, WIlliam
willofiam

Postby insomniacshotrods » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:16 pm

Thanks for posting this on youtube. I am newer to clock repair and was doing a rebuild of a 1908 Japanese Meiji movement and it needed springs made. I tried wrapping it around the lever a couple times and it looked like crap, and I wound it the wrong way too lol. Went to try to find a video how too and found yours. I didnt have time to make your set up, so just used a bit a little smaller than the arbor size to wind the wire on, put in backwards and wound it with my variable speed drill till i can make a set up like yours. Been thinking of using a dowel with a nail or screw in it to use with the drill and see how that works too. Thanks for the info and video, really helped me out. Eric.
insomniacshotrods

Postby willofiam » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:47 am

willofiam

Postby Dave Booth » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:12 pm

Back in 1980/81, when I was learning clock repair from Bob Goodman, he had me winding springs by hand, using a piece of threaded rod as a winding form. Clamp the threaded rod in the bench vise, and pinch the spring wire under a nut threaded onto the rod. Then wind the spring in the thread grooves. That is also a convenient way of making coil compression springs, because the thread spaces the turns out a fixed distance.
Dave Booth

Postby willofiam » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:16 am

Dave, Great idea.....thanks for sharing. William
willofiam

Postby khoward279 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:53 am

Hi everyone,
Great video William, this one helped alot. I asked this question in the general section but maybe it should be here. How do you attach a new click wire spring to a new click. I just couldnt think of a good way.

Thanks for any help
Kevin
Kevin Howard
khoward279

Postby willofiam » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:48 pm

Thank you Kevin, just posted in the general section. William
willofiam

Return to NEW!!! The CLOCKMAKERS Forum - Designing, Building & Parts Fabrication