[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Tascione • View topic - Custom mainsrpings...

Custom mainsrpings...

If you know of some good resources that will help us please post them!

All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Custom mainsrpings...

Postby tmac1956 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:06 pm

All:

I found a person who can fabricate custom mainsprings at a reasonable price. I'm rebuilding a Swiss pocket watch and couldn't find a mainspring for it, so I did the calculations and sent an email. He can do a 36" length for $35.00.

I just thought this might be helpful. You can contact him at:

twclock08@att.net

Later,
Tom
tmac1956

Re: Custom mainsrpings...

Postby Arutha » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:47 pm

Very useful info Tom, thanks for posting it up :)
Paul.
Arutha

Postby tmac1956 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:47 pm

All:

I finally received the custom mainspring and thought I'd post the steps needed to get it ready for installation. Many of you've probably done this before but for me, this is a new experience.

The first thing I needed to do was to fabricate the barrel end which was of the tang hook type. I found some shim stock of the correct thickness, and snipped out a rough copy. In order to punch and file this stuff, I had to anneal it. I did that, and put some dye on it so I could see the scribed outline of the old part.
Pic1_ShimStockAnealed.JPG
Pic1_ShimStockAnealed.JPG (51.66 KiB) Viewed 10301 times

Here's the copy next to the original before I filed it to length, added the knife edge, and punched the rivet hole.
Pic2_NewTangBesideOldBeforeSharpening.JPG
Pic2_NewTangBesideOldBeforeSharpening.JPG (41.22 KiB) Viewed 10301 times

I selected a punch close to the original hole diameter and punched the new hole on my staking set.
Pic3_PunchingTangHole.JPG
Pic3_PunchingTangHole.JPG (60.16 KiB) Viewed 10301 times

Next, I cut the custom mainspring material to the correct length. The supplier punched the arbor end for me, so I didn't have to deal with that.
Pic4_NewMainSpringCutToLength.JPG
Pic4_NewMainSpringCutToLength.JPG (64.93 KiB) Viewed 10301 times

continued...
Last edited by tmac1956 on Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tmac1956

Postby tmac1956 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:55 pm

continued...

Next, I annealed both mainspring ends so that I could more easily fabricate the tang/hook end and bend the barrel arbor end.
Pic5_AnealingMainspringEnds.JPG
Pic5_AnealingMainspringEnds.JPG (59.4 KiB) Viewed 10301 times

Again, using my staking set, I punched the rivet hole in the tang/hook end.
Pic6_PunchingMainSpringTangEnd.JPG
Pic6_PunchingMainSpringTangEnd.JPG (60.54 KiB) Viewed 10301 times

Due to the ease of fabricating and riveting, I decided to start off using brass to make the rivet.
Pic7_MakingRivet.JPG
Pic7_MakingRivet.JPG (60.82 KiB) Viewed 10301 times

This is probably the smallest part I've ever made. Here's the finished rivet.
Pic8_FinishedRivet.JPG
Pic8_FinishedRivet.JPG (44.98 KiB) Viewed 10301 times

continued...
Last edited by tmac1956 on Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tmac1956

Postby tmac1956 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:03 pm

continued...

So as to allow more area into which the riveted material could seat, I beveled the mainspring tang/end hole.
Pic9_MainSpringRivetHoleBeveled.JPG
Pic9_MainSpringRivetHoleBeveled.JPG (42.11 KiB) Viewed 10301 times

I assembled the rivet into the mainspring and then added the tang. On my staking set, I started the riveting process using a tiny concave punch, worked out to one a little larger, then another a little larger, before finishing it off with a flat punch. The following show the almost finished product. I'll probably file of the larger rivet head as it appears a little thick. It might not matter, but my OCD allows for nothing less. ;)
Pic11_RivetComplete.JPG
Pic11_RivetComplete.JPG (86.75 KiB) Viewed 10301 times

Pic12_RivetComplete.JPG
Pic12_RivetComplete.JPG (47.9 KiB) Viewed 10301 times

Pic13_RivetComplete.JPG
Pic13_RivetComplete.JPG (51.47 KiB) Viewed 10301 times

I know this is pretty basic stuff, but I thought I'd share for those who haven't done this yet.

Thanks,
Tom
Last edited by tmac1956 on Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tmac1956

Postby jim1228 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:22 pm

Brilliant job Tom

Jim
jim1228

Postby tmac1956 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:37 pm

Jim:

Thanks... but I didn't post the failures. ;)

Later,
Tom
tmac1956

Postby gerene » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:23 pm

Well done Tom. Thanks for the pictures, it gives me a nice overview of how to do it and I will certainly get back to it when need arises!

Jan
gerene

Postby Arutha » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:41 pm

Great work Tom :)
Paul
Arutha

Postby tmac1956 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:47 pm

All:

Thanks for the nice comments, but David Pierce gave me the idea about machining the rivet with a flat base. I tried it once on my own but my attempt wound up being skewed side ways and misaligned. After talking to him, I had a good handle on the process which worked out pretty well in the end. Well, that's one repair that I can stick into my knowledge base.

Later,
Tom,
tmac1956

Postby tmac1956 » Sun May 31, 2015 1:21 pm

All:

Just to follow-up... I reassembled the watch with the new mainspring installed. It's running like a champ. I highly recommend this supplier for springs that are unattainable elsewhere.

Thanks!
Tom
tmac1956

Return to Parts & Tool Suppliers & Other Helpful Resources