Help trying to buy a mainspring foran old (40's) Smiths clo

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Help trying to buy a mainspring foran old (40's) Smiths clo

Postby mowestham » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:43 pm

Hi,
Can anyone here help. I am a horological novice and I am stuck trying to buy a replacement spring.

I have just joined and started Bob's course, i bought an old smiths time only, chrome desk clock. The main spring needs replacing and I cannot seem to find anyone who can supply a replacement of the correct size. I am not sure of the thickness, but the other two dims are 8mm x 55mm. It does not have a loop at the end, the original has the spring folded back, which is enough for it to catch.

Can anyone direct me to a supplier?

Many thanks

Mo
mowestham

Re: Help trying to buy a mainspring foran old (40's) Smiths

Postby Bernie Weishapl » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:02 am

Have you tried Timesavers, Ronell Clock, or R & M Imports?? They are my main suppliers of mainsprings. Contact them and get one of their catalogs.
Bernie
Bernie Weishapl

Postby mowestham » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:56 am

Bernie,

Many thanks, I'll try today.

Mo
mowestham

Postby Bob Tascione » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:33 pm

Hey Mo,
The sites that Bernie gave are great here in the States. I looked up your location from when you joined the course and see that you're over in the UK so you might also want to try Cousins over there at https://www.cousinsuk.com . I know Paul (Arutha) who also lives in the UK runs into a lot of Smiths clocks but not sure where he purchases his springs from. Guessing Cousins though.

Good luck,
Bob
Bob Tascione

Postby Arutha » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:33 am

I do buy from Cousins and Meadows and Passmore although their order system is a little odd. I was quite lucky and bought a job lot of older Smiths mainsprings so have not needed to order one for a while.
The main thing you need to measure is the thickness of the mainspring. I know on all the smiths timepieces I have worked on the mainsprings dont have a fixed loop, they are just folded back but they are rounded at the fold to fit the post. A loop end would work just as well.
Paul.
Arutha

Return to General Discussion Forum