pendulum stops

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

pendulum stops

Postby mreynol5 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:33 am

I have completely cleaned and oiled a Hermle 451-030 movement following closely Bill's videos. I believe that I have it functioning correctly except for one major problem...The pendulum slows down and comes to a stop with about 5 - 7 minutes. I have the level bubble centered on both planes. The pendulum is a stick/bob and the length from the top of the suspension spring to the bottom of the regulator knob is 85 cm as stamped on the back of the movement.

Is the verge supposed to provide a slight nudge to the pendulum via the hanger? What else should I check?
mreynol5

Re: pendulum stops

Postby Bernie Weishapl » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:04 pm

One thing I would check is if you need any bushings. Did you polish the pivots and check to see it there was any roughness on any of them? If I remember correctly that is a chain driven unit with side hammers. Somewhere you are losing power. Yes you are correct the escape wheel provides the nudge to the verge which in turn moves the pendulum. Remember in the upper train there is very little power and a feather can stop it from running. So I would check for slop and the need for bushings on all wheels in the time train including the chain wheels and especially the upper 3 wheels.
Bernie
Bernie Weishapl

Postby mreynol5 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:51 am

Thanks. I will check again. I am curious though, how does the verge actually nudge the pendulum? Near as I can see, the verge is just moving up and down on each side. Is there any "power" in this action?
mreynol5

Postby Bernie Weishapl » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:53 am

When the verge goes up and down with a nudge from the escape wheel that power is transfered to the crutch which in turn push the pendulum. One other thing I forgot to mention is if the clock is in beat. The final check for me is to put my microset timer on the clock and check the beat. It should have a even tick as it goes from one side to the other. If you don't hear a even tic, tic and instead you hear a short tic and a long toc then you are not in beat and the clock probably will not run long. Here is a video on how to adjust the beat. It will give you a idea what I meant with a uneven tic, toc. On your unit you would adjust it the same. Move the crutch one way and listen for a even beat. If not move it the other way and listen again. Doesn't usually take much. Hope this help.
Bernie
Bernie Weishapl

Return to General Discussion Forum