Spindle on a 8mm lathe

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Spindle on a 8mm lathe

Postby It's Time » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:06 am

The collet pin in my spindle is broken so I need some help with the right way to remove the spindle from my Wolf Jahn? It has what appears to be threads at the rear of the spindle, so I tried to use my ER32 collet to hold the circular end. Tried to turn it but seem to be locked, afraid to turn too hard and break something. Is it a clockwise or a counterclockwise? Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Nelson
It's Time

Re: Spindle on a 8mm lathe

Postby willofiam » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:08 am

Nelson, does it have a split nut? pictures sure would help get a better response, have a great day, William
Have a great day, William
willofiam

Postby It's Time » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:15 pm

William
I placed one end in my ER32 collet and the other end in my 3 jaw chuck. I tried it one time before and nothing happened, this time I was going to get something to do something or else. It finally started to turn. I backed the tailstock off and revolved it several times, but it was not moving. After looking at it closely I thought I would press the shaft toward the front of the spindle. That did it, it was a very tight press fit with a pin in it. When I pressed the shaft out it took a lot of pressure and it kind of mushroomed the about .750 on the end of the shaft tub. I haven't finished it yet but it has it's collet pin in it and works nice. Here is a pic of it in pieces and you can see the swell on the end of the spindle shaft.
Nelson
Attachments
parts.jpg
parts.jpg (301.17 KiB) Viewed 3360 times
1a.jpg
1a.jpg (83.3 KiB) Viewed 3360 times
It's Time

Postby Nic422 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:05 pm

Mines broken too! Rather it is filed down to nothing. Previous owner was trying to fit boley collets in it and decided to file it down to get them to fit. What a pain. I've got to find a way to replace it too. No threads on this one. Anyone have any ideas on how to replace a Peerless lathe headstock spindle collet pin? Hope I'm not hijacking this thread. Maybe I should start a new one?
Nic422

Postby It's Time » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:58 pm

Nic
You did not hijack the thread. The information would be valuable to others also with like problems. My lathe was abused and in time I will get it all worked out. I put the pin in the shaft and found the right way to disassemble it. The split nut and cover was missing and not knowing what I was doing did not hurt anything. I'm going to make a nut from a piece of stress proof steel and harden afterward. I have accumulated quite a few accessories, a very nice flip top tool post, a filing set up and many gravers. That is a subject that has just fascinated me. It doesn't take anytime to master the gravers, I've used them on stainless on my South Bend 10K, worked real nice. I have enjoyed all I learn and will continue to learn.
Cheers
Nelson
It's Time

Return to General Discussion Forum