testing a loose cannon pinion

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

testing a loose cannon pinion

Postby chaplin37 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:16 pm

So I have read about using a piece of hair to test if a loose cannon pinion is the reason why the hands dont move. Has anyone ever tried this? For anyone who has tried this, do you just wrap a piece of hair around the center wheel pinion and then install the cannon pinion over it? Or do you just simple put a piece of hair inbetween the center wheel pinion and cannon pinion? Im guessing you wrap it around but wanted complete clarity.

Thanks everyone
chaplin37

Re: testing a loose cannon pinion

Postby Bob Tascione » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:22 pm

Hi Chaplin,
This is sometimes a good way to test tension when in doubt and also works for a temporary fix. You can lay a piece hair vertically along the center arbor and press (not too hard) the cannon pinion over it. The elasticity of the hair should supply enough tension. I'm not recommending this as a permanent fix but as something to experiment with. That being said it is not all that uncommon to find watches that have been repaired this way long ago that still work well.
Hope this helps,

Bob
Bob Tascione

Re: testing a loose cannon pinion

Postby chaplin37 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:36 pm

thanks Bob,

I actually did tie it around the center pinion and it worked. I was just doing this as a test to see if the cannon pinion was the reason why the hands were not moving.
chaplin37

Return to General Discussion Forum