[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Tascione • View topic - The Case Of The Green Case

The Case Of The Green Case

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

The Case Of The Green Case

Postby Chris Mabbott » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:40 pm

Well boyz & grrlz, things are starting to look pretty good as I plow through one project after another, like one a them thar watch fixin MACHINES :lol:

I received this really nice green case, no, really, I love the color and I was disputing with self, who else, whether or not to leave it green, because I love it like this, so unusual and kewl :mrgreen:

But, as always, Mr Clean won the fight because, well, I wear my watches, daily, and this one I couldn't wear, except with my green jacket :roll:

Anyway, this is a quickie, have to be up early tomorrow so....
This is how it came to me, it was a flower, wilting in another persons garden, all alone, and did I mention it was green :ugeek: This watch is that huge that it's almost a wall clock, says a lot for the cut of the men that used to carry these beasts back in the day. In today's world, carrying this would be considered hard work :lol:
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (48.49 KiB) Viewed 7791 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (49.04 KiB) Viewed 7791 times
Last edited by Chris Mabbott on Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Mabbott

Re: The Case Of The Green Case

Postby Chris Mabbott » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:46 pm

The front and sides bore the brunt of the attack but the back also had considerable corrosion damage in the form of pitting. The front bezel was the worse for wear, very pitted :cry:

But after a few hours in a mild chemical bath, the green was gone from the case proper, but alas, the damage was more noticeable..

Here we see the bezel having a private time while the green nasties float away :geek:
Attachments
4.jpg
4.jpg (22.68 KiB) Viewed 7790 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (28.25 KiB) Viewed 7790 times
Last edited by Chris Mabbott on Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Mabbott

Postby Chris Mabbott » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:48 pm

I've tried to capture the pitting and natural devastation of this lovely, heavy, HUUGE old case.. Reflective materials are a sod to photograph though..
Attachments
5.jpg
5.jpg (32.57 KiB) Viewed 7790 times
Chris Mabbott

Postby Chris Mabbott » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:53 pm

This stuff is like enamel, it's baked into the metal, tough as nails to remove.. Here I've tried a heavy, semi coarse buffing wheel with some 3k grit diamond paste, but man, this little section on the side took me 10 mins to buff away. Plus the black crap coming off forced me to keep washing my buffing wheels..

No matter, the circle of clear in the following shot is the result of an hours struggle and loads of black gunk :lol:
Attachments
6.jpg
6.jpg (21.56 KiB) Viewed 7790 times
6b.jpg
6b.jpg (33.38 KiB) Viewed 7790 times
Chris Mabbott

Postby Chris Mabbott » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:59 pm

This is the best I got after about 6 hours of buffing and polishing, I'm not too satisfied with this result.. So I decide to do the full strip job..

I start with a 1500 grit emery cloth and go for it... Unfortunately during my sanding, my hands and everything else were so dirty that I didn't take any photos, except when I was done :lol:

But I went the cycle from 1500, up to 6k grit, then I used various grades of diamond polish to remove the sanding marks... All in all it took me about 20 plus hours to restore this case, not consecutively, but almost 8-)
Attachments
7.jpg
7.jpg (24.22 KiB) Viewed 7790 times
Last edited by Chris Mabbott on Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Mabbott

Postby Chris Mabbott » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:04 pm

THIS IS THE RESULT I WAS AFTER, yes my friends, this makes the time worth the effort, or is that the other way around :lol:

I was so happy with how this turned out that I sat and stared at it for hours, almost smoked a pack of cigs AND ENJOYED IT :lol:

So now when the movement is ready, it will have a nice clean home. This case is original to the movement and the main reason why I wanted to restore it. I could have used a spare 18s case, but that's cheating :roll:

I think this case was in the worst shape of all the ones I've done previously... I didn't go totally mad on it, there are still some small pit marks, but it is a 120 yr old case that has seen heavy use, so, character marks.
Attachments
8.jpg
8.jpg (29.46 KiB) Viewed 7790 times
9.jpg
9.jpg (22.16 KiB) Viewed 7790 times
Last edited by Chris Mabbott on Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chris Mabbott

Postby Chris Mabbott » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:15 pm

Before & after front
Attachments
10.jpg
10.jpg (50.51 KiB) Viewed 7790 times
Chris Mabbott

Postby Chris Mabbott » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:16 pm

Reverse B4 & After
Attachments
11.jpg
11.jpg (37.1 KiB) Viewed 7790 times
Chris Mabbott

Postby tmac1956 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:25 pm

Chris:

Did you really use Mr. Clean?

Thanks!
Tom
tmac1956

Postby Chris Mabbott » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:33 pm

:lol: Tom, I'm Mr Clean, so in a way, yes :lol:
Chris Mabbott

Postby Bernie Weishapl » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:45 pm

Great job Chris. Looks really nice. I had one that wasn't pitted as much as yours but I used buffing wheels with brown tripoli, white diamond and a black rouge. It really brought out the lustre. Well done.
Bernie
Bernie Weishapl

Postby Bob Tascione » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:13 pm

Nice work Chris!
That was one ugly case! From the first pic I thought it was a steel case. I don't think I've ever seen one that green before. Looks like it came from a hundred year old ship wreck.
Bob
Bob Tascione

Postby Chris Mabbott » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:12 pm

Thanks guys.

It looks like it Bob, good comparison. I haven't seen one like this before either, but I had to have it :D I was heavily debating whether or not to leave it green because it did look kewl, ugly, but unusual. Anyway, I have lots of photos to remind me and at least now it has been saved from oblivion and I'll be using it again..
Chris Mabbott

Return to General Discussion Forum